How good is your gas mileage?! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In texas 75-85 MPH is life! I get 9-12 mpg combined. I think I'd go crazy if I drove 65 mph for a long stretch of road. I guess if I can cut a large amount of time by driving faster, than I'd do it! YOLO! :p

In texas 75-85 MPH is life! I get 9-12 mpg combined. I think I'd go crazy if I drove 65 mph for a long stretch of road. I guess if I can cut a large amount of time by driving faster, than I'd do it! YOLO! :p

I was at about 65-70mph most of it.

It depend on many things how much time you’re really saving though. At 11.5 mpg you’re only getting 230 miles a tank, at 18 mpg you’re at about 360. Filling up every three hours would be pretty inconvenient.

yeah I think im at like 13 a gallon since I live in Austin and drive to houston for family visits. It's about 150 miles to where Im going and typically when I get there it's half tank.

I mean for all that weight and for you to get 18mpg, that's amazing. I think for me 150 miles at 85 mph gets me there right under 2 hours or going 65 mph to get there in 2 hours and 30 minutes. I'd rather just get there faster at the expense of fuel I guess. haha. 18 mpg is insane, amazing, and badass! :)

yeah I think im at like 13 a gallon since I live in Austin and drive to houston for family visits. It's about 150 miles to where Im going and typically when I get there it's half tank.

I mean for all that weight and for you to get 18mpg, that's amazing. I think for me 150 miles at 85 mph gets me there right under 2 hours or going 65 mph to get there in 2 hours and 30 minutes. I'd rather just get there faster at the expense of fuel I guess. haha. 18 mpg is insane, amazing, and badass! :)

Oh for sure! I fly sometimes as well, at the expense of mpg.

And to be clear, my average mpg and even average highway mpg is not 18+. These are some of my BEST! I am finding that 91 seems to yield better results.

In Texas I get 15 to 16 going 85. 12 pulling the boat. But my 16 is the smoothest most comfortable ride I have ever owned. I've even started leaving the 80 behind when I go wheeling.

Here are my stats for driving in CO:
• Highway 20-22
• City 14-16
• Highway and City 16-17

Here is how I obtain this mpg:
• I drive the cruise as if it's the last one on earth.
• Never exceed 70mph.
• Do a lot of coasting to traffic lights, stop signs, exits, down hills, etc.
• Never goose the throttle especially from a stop. Keep the rpm 2500 or less.
• Buy the cheapest octane-gas at the pump.
• Use my wife's Honda CRV when available ;)

Drove from el Dorado Hills to Marin and back, 110 miles each way. The way there was smooth sailing, home was traffic ridden taking almost 3 hours. “Ect power” on 91 octane, empty truck.
- 10/1/19, M: 226.695, G: 12.26, MPG: 18.49

91 is about 25% higher in price than the 87 I usually dump in. I'll have to try a tank to compare and see if I actually do get about 25% better range.

There was another thread on here earlier.. that said the % in mileage difference was not that much.

What is ECT-power ? Is that that green light that come on occasionally?

Last edited:
Here are my stats for driving in CO:
• Highway 20-22
• City 14-16
• Highway and City 16-17

Here is how I obtain this mpg:
• I drive the cruise as if it's the last one on earth.
• Never exceed 70mph.
• Do a lot of coasting to traffic lights, stop signs, exits, down hills, etc.
• Never goose the throttle especially from a stop. Keep the rpm 2500 or less.
• Buy the cheapest octane-gas at the pump.
• Use my wife's Honda CRV when available ;)
What tires? P rated I assume? I never get better than 14 city & I drive like an old lady on OEM Dunlops. 17-18 hwy although that’s at 80mph. Getting 14.4 combined with mostly city driving. Stock truck in flat Florida.

I am doing pretty good...
great mileage.jpg

91 is about 25% higher in price than the 87 I usually dump in. I'll have to try a tank to compare and see if I actually do get about 25% better range.

There was another thread on here earlier.. that said the % in mileage difference was not that much.

What is ECT-power ? Is that that green light that come on occasionally?

Where I live 91 is about 7% more expensive, so it’s worth it for me to improve range as it’s the worst thing about the truck. I think it takes a number of tanks for the computer to adjust how it uses the fuel. Someone more knowledgeable, please chime in.

“Ect Power” is the “power” button next to the shifter. Changes the shift points. I don’t know if it matters.

At 5,850 above sea level I get:

11-12 mpg on only surface streets
13-14 mpg mixed highway/surface streets
18-19 on highway roadtrip

Doesn't seem to make much difference if I have ECT on for the whole tank or not. So, I keep it on.

87 in the south is 2.33 a gallon ... and 2.14 some places. Thanks .. looks like ECT is for sport mode.

Last edited:
I measure in gallons per mile . . .

87 in the south is 2.33 a gallon ... and 2.14 some places. Thanks .. looks like ECT is for sport mode.

Give it a try with 2 tanks or so and see how you feel about it. Depending on the gas station it's around $0.40/gal more for me, so anywhere from $6-10 more a tank which isn't that bad IMO.

I have run multiple tanks on Premium and Regular. After a large sample size, there is no discernible difference, probably because even at a lower tune, the 5.7 has more than enough power to keep top efficiency. I do see a pretty good jump when I put in ethanol free, which is what I usually do unless I am far from a station that has it for a reasonable cost. (edit: and ethanol free is all I put in my FJ40 and 84 pickup--ethanol and carbs are not friends).

On my Tacoma, I saw a small increase from regular to premium, but not enough to offset the additional $.20 per gallon at the time (back when mid was $.10 more than regular, and premium was $.10 above that--the gas companies have figured out they can gouge consumers for higher octane).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom