How Does That Skid Plate Bolt up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put the skidplate in place and lined up the holes but I couldn't get any of the bolts started. It was getting late so I didn't get to see the condition of the threads,if there are any.The skidplate was never on the rig when I started this rebuild because a shoddy exhaust job blocked it's placement.
It seems there are (or use to be) threads in the frame for the skidplate...or do you have to put some nuts inside the frame similar to mounting a reciever hitch???

There should be threads for the skidplate bolts already in the frame cutouts where the bolts go. I had trouble getting mine in too as there wasn't a skid plate on mine when i bought it. Try greasing the bolts up really good. That made mine a lot easier to get started.

use a tap to clean out the threads. After a few years the bolt holes/threads can get all gunked up.

Tap size is 8x1.25mm metric tap availble at local hardware store...you should be able to use a cheap one for this with no problem. Spray some WD40 on it and run the tap in and out should clean out the holes nicely.

Stew

Or get the correct thread bolt in a self-tapping variety, Toyota uses these stock in some places, just helps to get things started. A tap would do the same thing, but my local hardware store sucks and literally only carries one tap size. :(

Thanks,I've got a metric tap set.I'll get to work on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom