How does one acquire a 12HT engine stateside? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love a diesel, but would do a vortec first despite your feelings about it. It's a forever motor here in the states.

Face it, we got f#cked here in all things cool about Toyota. Parts and repair are just too sketchy here...unless you truly just want a unique toy that may have some down time when stuff breaks.
(broken record off)

I love a diesel, but would do a vortec first despite your feelings about it. It's a forever motor here in the states.

Face it, we got f#cked here in all things cool about Toyota. Parts and repair are just too sketchy here...unless you truly just want a unique toy that may have some down time when stuff breaks.
(broken record off)
I'm have owned 6 diesel Cruisers and while I understand ANY engine can break, I've never had one of mine let me down. As far as parts, I had my 2H rebuilt and although none of the parts came from my local NAPA store, the parts were available none the less.

I wouldn't worry about whether you can get an hj61 half cut or not. I got just the engine. everything else I got from ebi in Vancouver in one easy phone call. hj60s are common up there so that stuff is easy. sounds like your going down the road im on now. I should be done with mine a couple of weeks your welcome to ride on over and take it for a spin around the block.

I'll check out the vid, thanks.

Picking up a new H55F from beno today, and will be rebuilding my t-case and clutch also. After that goes in, a knuckle/steering box/tie rod end job is next. So I have time to mull my options. Sounds like a 12HT is not a viable option unless I get the whole HJ61.

FYI - I'm pretty sure the input shafts on the H55F are different between the H and F engines. Buying a transmission will probably commit you to an engine choice.

I looked into 12HT and 1HZ swaps. My conclusion was, as mentioned previously, to buy a JDM import which comes with all the bits and pieces. I wouldn't convert to a diesel. If you like your current Cruiser, go with a Vortec SBC.

Search for landcruisersdirect.com. Steve's a stand up guy.

I have started to building a second 12ht, it will take me probably 8 months. I placed the last one into my FJ40.

IMG_2184.jpg

FYI - I'm pretty sure the input shafts on the H55F are different between the H and F engines. Buying a transmission will probably commit you to an engine choice.

I looked into 12HT and 1HZ swaps. My conclusion was, as mentioned previously, to buy a JDM import which comes with all the bits and pieces. I wouldn't convert to a diesel. If you like your current Cruiser, go with a Vortec SBC.

Search for landcruisersdirect.com. Steve's a stand up guy.

sorry bro you are incorrect.

That the input shafts are different? Or about the expense of swapping an engine vs acquiring an HJ that has all the pieces without weeks of effort for the same price?

I'll leave the first to Beno to confirm and leave the second to opinion.

2H/12H-T/2F/3F-E input shafts are the same from the point of view of mating the H55F directly to the engine. There are of course some bellhousing differences and clutch part differences.

It's the 3B/13B-T and 1HZ input shafts that are different and require the front bearing retainer to be removed and replaced with a different input shaft based on the engine you are mating them to.

That is if you are working with a US-sourced H55F: 33030-60450.

:cheers:

Thanks, Beno!

That the input shafts are different? Or about the expense of swapping an engine vs acquiring an HJ that has all the pieces without weeks of effort for the same price?

I'll leave the first to Beno to confirm and leave the second to opinion.

I paid a grand for every part I needed for my swap other than the engine itself. That's including shipping and it only took one phone call. I paid 3500 for my engine. I don't think you are going to buy a half cut or a complete truck for 4500 or even 7500 for that matter taking into consideration I got my engine for a great deal. That was my personal experience getting a 12ht swap here in the states what the op is attempting to do.

We got plenty of diesels here in Norway, but 95% of the 60s had the 2H.
I know of maybe 8-10 rigs with the 12HT in the Norwegian cruiser community.
They are the preferred engine, but most get by with a good tuned 2h.
There are no parts at the local shops, very little at the dealer, but most service parts can be ordered from the dealer in two working days, or online if I have a week or three to wait.
The Norwegian toy dealer has crazy pricetags, so I prefer waiting when I can.

I've had the 2L, 2lT, 2H, 2H with turbo and ic, (also had both the 2.8 and 4L in patrol) and now the 12HT.
All good reliable diesels, and I prefer the 12HT. I keep the common service items stacked, like filters, hoses, belts and such, makes life easier.

Also, the donor 60 with 2H has saved me a ton of money, since relays and other nifty things are like unicon fart around here.

Do I need a transmission tunnel modification in my July 1984 built FJ60 for a H55F in preparation for 12H-T?

then a toyota diesel shouldn't be on your list.
there is no support for them here. you will not walk into your local dealership and find parts for it. the local parts stores would be even more confused by it, as it's not even in their systems.

This may be a good point.

Below are the official Toyota specs of both the 12H-T and the 2F. On paper the difference between the two is small.
12H-T
Power output: 100 kW (134 hp)
Torque output: 315 N·m (232 ft·lb) at 1,800 rpm.
2F
Power output 101 kW (135 hp)
Torque output 271 N·m (200 ft·lb) at 1800 rpm.

Yes, but can the 2f run on alternate fuel sources?

For the purposes the OP originally stated (post apocalyptic bug out vehicle), I'd have to suggest an American rig over a Toyota for several reasons.
1) They're larger (depending on the rig). More room for gear and family.
2) Parts: They're everywhere! You can find parts at any NAPA or corner parts store (assuming there's any left standing).
Otherwise, you can salvage or steal them just about anywhere. Remember, we're talking post apocalypse lawlessness.
3) Easier to work on if you build an older rig minus all the e-gear.
4) Other than a Dodge, they might not rust out from under you as quickly as the Yota.

Now you could always swap over mostly GM/cummins running gear from the engine to the diffs, and have a cool looking, unique rig with the power, longevity and durability you'll need in that new world you're talking about.

As for fuel sources, they both have advantages. Diesel is safer, and you have the ability to run alternative fuel sources.

Gasoline is cheaper, and may be more readily available and plentiful (remember, you're probably going to "borrow" it from the less fortunate) than it's diesel or bio-fuel counterpart.

I love my FJ62, and would love a diesel.
But for what you're talking about, I'd at least listen to those recommending either the SBC or 1HZ if you're hell bent on a diesel conversion.

I'm not hell-bent, and I don't want to be welding mounts, cutting axles, and fighting with fitting non-T parts into my cruiser. If I found a decent 12HT I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom