How does one acquire a 12HT engine stateside? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't bother me with the facts; my mind is made up.

This thread is about possibilities of acquiring a 12HT stateside, not a debate about power trains. I happen to think a multi-fuel diesel would be easier to feed in the inevitable future civil breakdown. :cheers:

This thread is about possibilities of acquiring a 12HT stateside, not a debate about power trains. I happen to think a multi-fuel diesel would be easier to feed in the inevitable future civil breakdown. :cheers:

As a guy who has done a few Toyota diesel conversions, and daily drives them (over 340,000 miles on one), I'll give you my 2 cents....

When you find a good deal, is when you will know how to get a 12HT. Or a 1HZ, or 1HD-T. (those are the engines I would personally be looking for if I were in your shoes). All of them have plusses, and all of them have drawbacks. But all of them would be awesome in a 60 series.

I had no idea how to get a 1HZ, without paying a huge sum to SOR or something. ....until a running 1HZ sort of fell into my lap for very, very little money. The next two 1HZs I got because I knew someone who was trying to get rid of them, and I had some cash to throw at them. The 12HT wasn't even on my radar, until i saw it sitting in a container and I knew they were trying to sell stuff. I bought it with absolutely no plan to use it, but I knew it was a great deal, so I snatched it up. (and then we decided to keep it for Dad's 60)

If you are serious, you'll find something that works for you. My advice, would be to keep your mind open, because if a good deal on a 12HT comes up, you'll want that. Or if a smoking deal on a 1HZ presents itself, then go that route, etc...

That said, if your supreme primary concern is in your post apocalyptic "bug out" scenario, then you should limit your search to the 1HZ. Indirect injection diesels are MUCH more tolerant of multi-fuel issues than direct injection. Not saying multi fuel won't work in a direct injected engine, but it'll be more finicky. And you could carry the spare parts for a 1HZ a lot easier, since they were at least sold in north america (granted, not for highway use, but there are plenty of 1HZs in mines and things here).

Dan

Don't rule out the 1HZ. Easier to get parts for and you can build a new one from parts in the US. Can't do that with a 12H-T and parts support for a 12H-T means long waits from Australia or Japan.

1HZ would be good as well. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one. :beer:

I think you could get a good complete car here in Aust - depending on shipping... Just last night I got home from a 1200km round trip in the one day to pick up my 1988 HJ61 (12ht, 5 speed) that I bought sight unseen (apart from about 40 photos and 2 phone videos). I paid $3300aus and it drove like a dream! No gearbox noise in 5th, smooth, good power etc.. There is very minimal rust (chassis is great, and only 1 small patch in the gutters). I bought it off the second owner who had it for the last 8 years as a camping vehicle. It does need a paint job as the Dark Grey is fading badly.... It would have been a great vehicle to ship Stateside!!! There are Mud members all over Aus, and I would think if a request was put out to have a look at one for another member, and there was one nearby they would jump at the chance!
Drew
Ps - a great condition hj61 can be purchased here for $10-$12000.....

That would be ideal as I'd get the tank and a lot of other important pieces, but I'm not in a position to spend that much right now. I know I couldn't stand driving a RHD here. I've got a good unmolested low-rust 60 to work with that has been mechanically restored and made roadworthy everywhere but the engine. Engine is running OK, I could use more power like we all could... thanks for the idea though. Maybe next year...

I believe if that is what you don't want, then even 12H-T is out of the question...

Don't forget that in your post apocalyptic scenario, you'll want less electronics to fail.

Not anymore here in CA.

So I saw when I was out there over Christmas.
Even then, in the afterworld of zombies and Mad Max, I think I'd still probably prefer a diesel, but gas can have multiple uses and you don't need multiple containers (lol).

... and ONLY $8,499.99!! So I'll have to pack a lunch instead of eating out for a week to swing that... :lol:

When I said find one, I meant find one cheap, but thanks for the laugh.

... and ONLY $8,499.99!! So I'll have to pack a lunch instead of eating out for a week to swing that... :lol:

A lot of coin, but that guy is shipping those from Japan and including the freight in the price, so factor that in. Still not a bargain, but you see crazier prices out there.

I have a very good 1hz/h55 combo on the way,I bring them in once every while.As for your price range I don't know what you are expecting to pay but I usually price mine around 6.5K for the combos and they are most of the time sold before the container hits the port.

I sometimes get engines presented sitting on pallets that I can bring cheaper but it will be "buyer beware " then,the ones I bring all come out of rigs that I or someone close to me took for a test drive.

Joe

Wow a Toyota V12. That would be something...

Great thread! Have been thinking about what to throw in my 60. The 2F is just too weak to get me over the mountain passes here in Wyoming. Is a 1HZ a 6 or 4 Cyl? Vortec SBC and an H55 is also under consideration. Here Georg at Valley Hybrids in Stockton does outstanding work. Might has to take a road trip to Ca. See some family and drop her off for mods. Saving my coin for the inevitable. The 2F just can't cut it when all loaded up with gear.

...Here Georg at Valley Hybrids in Stockton does outstanding work...

I have heard about that name on more than a few mentioned... I am in So Cal and I will visit him soon. I am 2F[ing] Tired of the 2F. I can't believe how much I dislike 2F + CA SMOG with the stock 4-Speed

@Haggis - fwiw, my desmogged 3fe and h55f had no problem with Beartooth Pass a few weeks ago. From Red Lodge to Jackson I got 19 mpg (via Dunraven). Probably need to back down the mpg 10% for tire size, but its still pretty good

^^That is pretty impressive. I have been fascinated with the 2FE threads. I am no wrench so I would have no clue as to how to go about it. I hear a 3FE mated to a 5 speed really frees her up. My 2F can barely get over the Scenic Byway East of Buffalo via 16. She starts to get hot. I have my flashers on and at best can hit 30mph. I have no doubt a GM Vortec would tear it up. Would love to keep her all Toyota, but I am keeping my options open.

My 2F can barely get over the Scenic Byway East of Buffalo via 16. She starts to get hot. I have my flashers on and at best can hit 30mph.

Something is amiss if that is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom