How does oil get to the rockers... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Poser said:
ALL of the head bolts are identical....so that you CANNOT instal one in the 'wrong spot'...They are GI proof. ;)

thanx steve, i really could'nt remember if one or all were like that

Poser said:
ALL of the head bolts are identical....so that you CANNOT instal one in the 'wrong spot'...They are GI proof. ;)

Whew, that's a relief. I am in the middle of a rebuild my self and I hadn't noticed that any of the head bolts were different. I've already got the head back from the machinist, hope to get the block back this week or next. Can't wait to start bolting it all back together again. I'll take lots of pics for the record, just as I did when tearing it down.

Thanks,

Matt

Just got done with a rebuild on my 3FE. I have the same concern as Max did.

This is what I did. After the head was torqued on the block I verified that the passage was clear. I did this by blowing air down the oil hole. With the engine at top dead centers the air passes down into the block and you can hear it coming out.

When I assembled the rocker assembly I used white Lith grease. Then 10W-30 to coat the assembly down.

[Next, time to start the engine.] I did not see any oil shotting out of the rockers after the second start up but I register oil preassure on the guage. So I took the rocker assembly off the head and was thinking I could prime the rockers. Well, when I got the assembly off, I saw a small amount of oil come out the rocker(s) immediate after the oil supply rocker tower. This was my validation that the top of the engine was getting oil from the camshaft.

HOWEVER, I took some 5W-20 and a turkey baister and primed the rocker tube (just to ease the voices inside my head:grinpimp: .). Just move the rocker toward to one side and fill, you don't need to disassemble.

I put the rocker assembly back on and started her up. However I still could not see any oil shooting out of the rocker. On the 3FE's, the best place I saw to observe oil flow is #3 rocker, passenger side (or shooting toward the push rod.) But I did see very slight flow of oil in puddles on the head.

Well, I hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom