How do you unseize a v8? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a rebuilt engine that has not rotated in quite some time... I pulled the heads and tried cranking the engine with the starter on but it won't budge!! I saturated the cylinders with penetrating oil and it still won't move. I even attached a bar to the harmonic balancer and tried rotating it that way, but to no use. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm desperate now.

If a starter won't turn it over with no heads that's pretty tight. Is this engine on a motor stand or installed? What condition are the cylinder walls in, i.e. are they still nicely honed from the rebuild or are they rusted over? If rusted (and you plan to use this motor) I'd say you may wish to go ahead and pull the pistons and clean up the cylinder walls. If it's never been fired since the rebuild then saving the rings and walls from damage will help them seal once it's fired. Also, if the cam is new you may want to pull it back out to relube and help with breakin.

If you can't spin it with the heads off somethin is way wrong. If there's rust in the cylinders, I'd pull it apart and check everything.

That's just me though.

Good luck.

mmo works in rotary engines to unseize apex seals and so does atf

Hey Guys, I figured out what it was... after pulling the motor I noticed that the pressure plate cover was hitting the inside of the bellhousing. I guess I should have said that this was a V8 conversion with an Advance Adapters bellhousing.

Well, thanks for all of your responses! :cheers:

Thanks for letting us know. Dang sure should have thought of it. My last experience there was putting in a race engine and leaving a socket on a flywheel bolt. Turned over real well for about 1/2 revolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom