How do I wire a LED light bar to my high beams? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thoroughly confused by what people say that the power for the high beams is actually on the ground side(?)

Can anyone tell me what wire I need to connect the “hot” wire of my light’s wiring loom to in order to get the light bar to work only when my high beams are on?

Thanks in advance!

A SwitchPro 9100 is a very clean setup for all your accessories in a small package. Not the cheapest way to go however.

It’s not difficult to connect the light bar. Here’s a video to help. I like the 3 position switch they use to allow independent option of the light bar.

44DA2AA7-AF5C-4E74-B375-46B9943D6588.jpeg

EDD0B8B1-2897-47BE-A0FD-77553DAE21BD.jpeg

89F1B4AF-86AB-4759-9813-CC4C2313A23F.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread is for the 80-series.

Here’s another 80-series thread on the subject.

I am thoroughly confused by what people say that the power for the high beams is actually on the ground side(?)
You are confused because that's not how it works.
The high beams are a switched ground. There is +12 feeding one side of the high beam lamps and they are activated by grounding the other side through the stalk switch.
This is all explained in the factory service manual and EWD which you can download from the resources section.

You need to add a relay. Hook it up as normal except pull the ground from the ground wire up near the headlight. When you trigger the lights it will close the ground and cause your relay to activate turning on the light bar. Run the trigger wire (normally use 12v+) for the relay to a switch in the cab so you can override the light bar being on/off when the high are on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom