How do i go about rebuilding my HJ60? ($8000AUD) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day guys, i own an '88 HJ60. I have two spare engines and the running motor in my vehicle, with 3 total fuel injector pumps, and what looks to me like a very clean clutch. As it is the running engine is low on compression on two pistons (i forget which ones.)
One of the engines has a huge gouge in one of cylinders and wouldn't suit rebuilding would any of the lower end be any good? the other engine would need a rehone or rebore (what would be the better option?)

I was curious as to how far $8000 AUD should get me and what process i should start with. I intend to turbo it later on also, so wondering what upgrades i would need to make the 2h durable. Nothing crazy, just to get me over hills with ease, and make over taking a bit easier.

Thanks, Echo

Are you asking how far $8000 will get you to rebuild the motor?

I am assuming it is a 2h being a HJ60. Average cost of a short block rebuild is $5000. This will give you a healthy start. You could very easily spend the rest of that $3000 on accessories though making sure they are up to scratch. For that sort of money I would be hunting around for another 60 to either transplant or just buy. You will pick up a tidy HJ60 for $8000 and if you wait you will find the odd HJ61 getting around for that price.

For that I’d look for a 12HT. Which would be not impossible being in Australia. Could sell
the remaining 2H’s and parts to offset cost and clean out the storage of all those engine.

FYI in todays currency exchange 8000AUD = $5700 USD.

Good running 2Hs are not hard to find.. mostly because there's plenty of rusted our HJ60s around.. I wouldnt spend any money rebuilding a 2H if you're just looking for a good running 2H in your bus. Well under $2000 if you keep your eyes open and act quickly when something comes up. Rebuilding a 2H really isnt worth it at the moment.

I am assuming it is a 2h being a HJ60. Average cost of a short block rebuild is $5000. This will give you a healthy start. You could very easily spend the rest of that $3000 on accessories though making sure they are up to scratch. For that sort of money I would be hunting around for another 60 to either transplant or just buy. You will pick up a tidy HJ60 for $8000 and if you wait you will find the odd HJ61 getting around for that price.
Thanks for the advice, would love to buy a donor, unfortunately the issue is space atm, i wouldnt have anywhere to park them up. What accessories would you reccomend? Would you by any chance know the process of rebuild? Is it better to rebore or rehone? Any upgrades to the motor? Ta.

For that I’d look for a 12HT. Which would be not impossible being in Australia. Could sell
the remaining 2H’s and parts to offset cost and clean out the storage of all those engine.
A 12-HT would be make me tight on cash but it's definitely the dream. One in the local area for sale has 230xxxkms for 7000AUD, what do you reckon? Or there's hj60 with a 12ht for 5k with a rebuilt fuel pump with 430xxxkms, but completely rusted out. Thoughts?

Good running 2Hs are not hard to find.. mostly because there's plenty of rusted our HJ60s around.. I wouldnt spend any money rebuilding a 2H if you're just looking for a good running 2H in your bus. Well under $2000 if you keep your eyes open and act quickly when something comes up. Rebuilding a 2H really isnt worth it at the moment.
Why do you think it's not worth rebuilding? My thoughts are, if mine has done 680xxxkms, then i'm sure to see at least another 300xxxkms, also more durability for the turbo, cleaner internals, etc. It would be a bit expensive but i think it would be worth it.
Would love to hear your thoughts, ta mate

Here's the old girl at Karijini (western australia), one year ago. Did 2000kms, burnt a lot of oil but was really good on fuel, made the whole drive without many issues, just didnt really handle the big hills and 13% inclines, and over taking road trains was quite difficult, flat footed trying to overtake. She's a piece of work, but she's mine and i love her.

IMG_20200720_171746_012.jpg

Also, yes, it is a 2h.

Had some time over covid, cleaned up some small sections of rust with converter and bog, will get it cut out after it's running nicer. Not perfect but needed to seal it to handle the weather.

20200909_144333.jpg

20200909_144326.jpg

20200909_144148.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom