How can I obtain a Ehsan soft top or?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do I get a soft top from him, or should I be looking for the original bows and hardware then just get the top from OEm or Kayline or whoever has it?

Have you tried to contact him?

He is on this forum.

shipping kills the deal, most people do a group buy to save on the costs.. but his work is amazing to say the least....

good luck

I've been wondering. How much water is kept out by a well fitting soft top? How many of them are well fit??
Vic
Redlands, CA.

a6016 said:
I've been wondering. How much water is kept out by a well fitting soft top? How many of them are well fit??
Vic
Redlands, CA.

I have the original 1977 factory softtop on my 1977 BJ40. It shows the years but is basicly still sound. It rains hard, and the one time I had to leave the truck out over two rainy nights resulted in one little puddle of about 2" diameter right in the middle of the cargo area floor. There's a seam in the top that runs across right there and the top has a sewn on loop that goes aroundd the top bow. That's where water entered and I soaked it up with 3M waterproofer. Haven't had occasion to see if it still drips.

Can't say whether an Ehsan top might do so well, but those are made of plastic while the original is canvas so the plastic top might seal even better.

Most soft tops will keep the rain out fairly well when sitting or driving in light rain, but heavy rain or driving fast will cause leaks. I've got the Kayline FastTrac (STC) on mine with 2-piece doors and it leaks around the doors ... I've seen the same with Bestop. With the OEM/Ehsan it will depend on what type of doors you have, but I'd expect the same.

Tucker

I do as well. I just hope we can do a group buy because I don't want to spend 1000 bones on a top because I will still need to find doors top go with the top. Any suggestions? I have a 76fj40. I want to cruise at high speeds and not hear my doors flapping, but I also only want to have a half door on the majority of the time, unless it is raining.

As for the doors, I'm in on the current order and supposedly eshan can ship extra vinyl with the top at something like $12/yard.

I was thinking about having some put in with mine then fabing up the frames and having my local car apolstery (sp?) place put the vinly on. Speaking of that I need to check to see if I can still get the extra.

Is there an official order being placed? If so, I need to get on it. Let me know please if you hear of anything.

I have an order in going but has been closed. However, If Eshan says there is still room I will happily add your order to it.

I'd be definitely interested if there is still room in your group order I had already talked to ehsan once before through email so if there is still room i'd like to join.

honk said:
Can't say whether an Ehsan top might do so well, but those are made of plastic while the original is canvas so the plastic top might seal even better.

I thought I had read someplace that his tops were a heavy canvas material....

:confused:

I will email eshan if there is still room for two more. Ehsan does make a softtop in canvas(Khaki in color) Just in the last 2-3 days, he started looking into one of his suppliers in possibly making softops using Black canvas material.

Poser said:
I thought I had read someplace that his tops were a heavy canvas material....

:confused:

No, it's vinyl. Not that heavy but like most vinyl it has a cloth backing so I guess someone could mistake that for canvas if they only saw the inside/underside. It's a soft and pretty good vinyl but it's a lot shinier than canvas. Doesn't look like an OEM canvas top because of the shiny texture. As a qualifier to that, I have seen a couple of dark, possibly black, OEM tops on post 1980 FJ40 import trucks that look shiny in the photos I saw. There was a red FJ44 (I think) that Wayne sold to someone that had that black and shiny OEM top. Maybe it was wet in the picture, I don't know.

I've got a white one laid out on our guestroom bed that'll probly never be used unless it transforms somehow into canvas. :) I go in sometimes to check, but so far no change.

Could you be thinking of the top that Marvin sells? His uses that "duck" cloth that his descriptions always speak of and it's a lot more canvas-like if it's the same stuff that his winch covers are made of. I have one of those in tan that is a really good match to the OEM canvas top on my truck. If he sold that top in tan I'd buy it, but it's dark grey or black only. I'm thinking about buying a grey one of those for my cygnus white truck and use the Ehsan bows for it. I'll have to see if the bows will work before making that decision though, as there's one guy out here who's top is unusable because the bows he got are skewed somehow. I don't have the details on that, and wouldn't speak for him about it anyway unless asked to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom