How are the stock speakers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are they any good? I have a Sony 52x4 CD receiver I am going to put in my '86 HJ60 but I was wondering if you would suggest replacing the speakers as well. I'm not looking for major "ice" or anything, just enough to be able to hear music of the diesel clatter on the highway. I also have a little 6" kicker I’ll probably put in it. Any thoughts? I'd check for myself but my 'cruiser is about 1000 miles away :-\ TIA

The stock speakers, like most stock Toyota speakers, are horrible. You definitely should upgrade them.

Not only do stock speakers suck, they're old paper, too, so not very flexible.

If you go to Crutchfield website, they have a "what fits my car" search engine--when I did it a couple of years ago, I went with Polk EX-350 (think that's the number) up front and the p.o.'s no-name 8" speakers in the rear. Sounds fine to me. You have to do a little drilling to get the polks in the stock location, but they I think it was worth it.

I have a set of Polks in the doors and back on mine that are pretty good. (along with 2 10's). The problem with the 60's placement of the speaker in the door is that it's so far down and under your leg that it destroys the front imaging. My backs sound way louder even though they actually get less power. Something that I am going to do is replace the fronts with a 6.5 compenent set and mount the dome tweeters low on the A pillars to try to get the sound back in "front".
BTW- if your going the mail order deal then one place I like for good prices is www.thezeb.com

It's hard to go wrong with Polk or Infinity although I'm sure there are some good sets too.

Also, if your going for some bigger sound, the 12" Audiobahn 1200x for $100 is a deal and half. One of those will knock the rust off your tailgate.

I put a pair of Panasonic component speakers (EAK-DS130) in the front doors of my 84FJ60. By component I mean the tweeters were seperate from the woofers. Because the tweeter isn't in the woofer like a coax design, the woofer is much more shallow. I was able to fit them in the stock hole in the door and leave the OE grills on the door panels. The back of the woofer clears the window lift easily. They are either a 5.5" or 6.5" diameter. The tweeters are mounted up at the top of the door panel and produce a really nice upper range image. They aren't a realy high power speaker but will handle a sloppy 20-30 watts no problem. I got the them on sale from Crutchfield for around 50$. Add a pair of decent 6x9's in the back and you can have a descent sounding, low cost stereo. Its a really clean looking install too.

I have Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4" components in the stock location with the tweeters mounted in the upper door panel, where they just clear the dash when the door is closed. In the back I have 6"x9" Alpine Type-S speakers in the tailgate. Those are loud enough by themselves, but I got a RF 12" HE sub in a bandpass box powered by a RF 201S amp.

stock are garbage, JVC makes (or at least made) a set of speakers that drop right into the front. Whatever you do, when you install the fronts make sure the magnet clears the window when you roll it down or you'll have to re-install. I used a bead of RTV to space them out, worked fine.

component speakers

How did you mount the tweeters and could you possibly post a pic :cheers: :beer:

I have the 5002i's in front and the 6002i's in the rear and it sounds awesome I think. I used to be into the loud stereo thing, but now am a little older and wiser I guess. Hehe. I got them off ebay I think for right around 100 for all of them. The nice thing about the infinity speakers is that you can aim the tweeter up if the speaker is in the door panel. The difficulty I had was getting them to mount without interferring with the window. Made a spacer that tucks behind the door panel and moves the speaker out about .5 inches. When things are bolted up, you cant even tell there is a spacer. Just my experience so far. Have them hooked to a Pioneer DEH7600. Really like it so far and can hook my Ipod to the unit.

I play an Alpine head unit with Alpine speakers that fit in the door quite nicely. They are a low profile design so there are no problems with the window clearance. I agree with other posts on the speaker location causing muffled sounds without hanging your leg through the window and have often wondered about rear speakers. For those who have rear speakers, where do you have them mounted? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom