FJ60- How many of you are running headers with a stock carb? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to pull the trigger on a full Manafre exhaust and heat riser kit but after asking if I need any additional parts, I was told there's a strong possibility the truck wouldn't run great and I should strongly consider a HEI distributor and Weber carb.

For reference, my truck is a desmogged '87 and currently runs strong. It starts easily, idles well and can easily cruise at 60-70. Tired of the rattling cat and the rest of the exhaust is pretty shot.

Just wondering what others have experienced and yes I used search before posting.

You're better with the stock carb than a weber

I ran Manafre headers with stock carb no issues. No issues when I switched to a Sniper either

I ran a stock carburetor with SOR headers. No issues. Before that I had a Weber on it. No issues. Now I have Sniper EFI. No issues.

I'm running the original Toyota carb and dizzy that were both touched by the magic Jim C hands. I took the advice of a well known Mud member, am running the JT Outfitters headers w stock intake manifold and Remflex gasket. Had the headers coated by Jet-Hot......Its been running great ever since. If it is very cold out, it takes a little longer to heat up without the heat riser (not a long winter here). Headers with coating run A LOT cooler than none coated or stock.

ive ran them all on the 2f. Headers stock carb. Headers stock carb DUI Distributor. Headers TBI injection.

Honestly Headers and tbi injection was the best setup by far... but it still ran like a stock 2f. So imo its kinda a waste of money. TBI injection will get you instant starts and the ability to run up hills and some other small creature comforts but do not expect to get ANY power improvement with a tbi or holley sniper setup. Headers wont improve power either.

If you ran a header, a rebuilt carb and distibutor sent to jim c would be the best move IMO

I had a 1980 FJ40, fully smogged, and all stock except for headers. It ran very well, clearly had a bit more power than expected. I'm not a 'header guy', but the truck was quiet and performed well - I could not complain. I think the person who told you that you needed a Weber and a distributor was trying to sell you something.

Thanks to all that responded! Are any of you running a fluid heat riser kit or are you just utilizing a block off plate?

If you're running a block off plate, are you seeing a dramatic difference in starts in cold weather?

Thanks to all that responded! Are any of you running a fluid heat riser kit or are you just utilizing a block off plate?

If you're running a block off plate, are you seeing a dramatic difference in starts in cold weather?

No fluid heat riser here. No block off plate either. Just a stock intake.

I have had headers on a 2F with stock carb and it ran fine. I now have 3FE exhaust manifolds on the 2F and, while it had not made an improvement in running, I prefer this over a header. I'm using a Remflex gasket and have not had to deal with leaks, which was often a reoccurring issue with headers. I had to have the exhaust fabbed up but we have a local shop that's great. All the headers I've run in the past have eventually rusted out and leaked.

@Godwin were any of those headers coated completely inside and out? Just trying to determine life span. That 3fe setup you have is really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom