Horseshoe Dam 2/25/17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brices123

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Thinking about cruising up to Horseshoe Dam today to see the runoff and walk under the water. Anyone else want to go? It will be a quick, easy trip.

Let me know.

We had the same idea. We'll be leaving in about 30 minutes or so. Hopefully we'll see you out there.

We made it. Worth the trip.
We actually started in Black Canyon City. We took Bloody Basin Road, then to the dam. Had a great time.

Video:

IMG_7237.JPG

IMG_7240.JPG

IMG_7243.JPG

Last edited:
Dam it! Sorry I missed this thread and event. Looks like fun.

Nice shots, sorry I missed you.

IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3241.JPG
IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

IMG_3239.JPG

I didn't meet up with Brice, we had equally brilliant ideas hatched in different directions. I went the short way through cave creek, Brice took the expeditionary route.:steer:

the turn-off to Horseshoe Lake is just north of Scottsdale

Horseshoe Dam directions.jpg

Cool, so there are a couple ways to get there............

I think you guys may have passed me on the 17 heading North, I was in the Red '76 FJ40, you did appear to be getting off at Bloody Basin. Kinda of startled me! Nice 80 btw! How far down Bloody Basin is the Dam?

Yes, that was us. So my wife hanging out the window scared you. Sorry.

Bloody Basin was uneventful. There were a lot of hunters, but not much else. It took us 1:15 to get to the intersection of Bloody Basin and FR24 (Camp Creek Road), and then about another 1:30 to drive down Camp Creek to pavement, head toward Bartlett and then make the drive to Horseshoe Dam. Neither road is very bad, no need for low gear or lockers. We saw 2WD vehicles on both roads. Now, right after a good rain, I think it would be a much different story.

From Scottsdale & Shea, to Black Canyon City, down Bloody Basin, down Camp Creek, up to Horseshoe Dam, and back to Scottsdale & Shea, the drive was 175 miles.

Nice FJ40, BTW!

Phil, it looks like there was quite a bit more water flowing when you where there.

They were releasing 4000CFS on my visit compared to Feb 25 with 1200CFS. A big enough release for a dozen SRP shirts to be on site to watch.

In addition we now have 3 water crossing again with the increased flow to get across to river to Sheep Bridge. The first that most have not ever seen was ~24". The 2nd long water crossing that most know was above my bumper less than a 1/4 across. No I did not dare crossing the second crossing. :eek:

The same day I went down Camp Creek with about 10" of flowing water. The day before Jen and I went down in the LX470 there was no water flowing:meh:

great pictures, thanks brice!

Yes, that was us. So my wife hanging out the window scared you. Sorry.

Bloody Basin was uneventful. There were a lot of hunters, but not much else. It took us 1:15 to get to the intersection of Bloody Basin and FR24 (Camp Creek Road), and then about another 1:30 to drive down Camp Creek to pavement, head toward Bartlett and then make the drive to Horseshoe Dam. Neither road is very bad, no need for low gear or lockers. We saw 2WD vehicles on both roads. Now, right after a good rain, I think it would be a much different story.

From Scottsdale & Shea, to Black Canyon City, down Bloody Basin, down Camp Creek, up to Horseshoe Dam, and back to Scottsdale & Shea, the drive was 175 miles.

Nice FJ40, BTW!
Thanks the '76 I was in is my brothers, it has a way to go but took it down for the Four till four meetup in Scottsdale-that was a good time! Your 80 is setup very nice. My '78 is further along than that '76, thanks though!

It looks like SRP bumped Horseshoe release back up to 4000 cfs today. Too bad I'm stuck at work.

Took the family up this past weekend to check it out. Thank you for the recommendation. We had a great time.

IMG_4106.JPG

IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_4108.JPG

IMG_4110.JPG

IMG_4117.JPG

took the family to Horseshoe yesterday 3/10.

caught a floating rainbow

not sure what actually flow rate was, but was enough to be interesting

the obligatory walkway under the spillway shot

from the other side

and a 6 foot rattler as we left, there is a reason I took the pic from a distance, don't like snakes

This the season'. Healthy looking snake, I too have a great deal of respect for the rattlers and give them a wide berth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom