hood/bonnet, leak, questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
The paint on my truck's bonnet is failing so I took the bonnet off and hauled it away to get wrapped.
I removed the liner or insulator and found rust everywhere the skin of the bonnet was glued to the support frame.
I'll treat the rust when I get the thing back.

Should I use large globs of silicone to re-create the factory rubbery goop? What was that original stuff?
1596314586567.png

1596314617473.png

I was sort of hoping to find something obvious that is causing the leak that allows water to enter and drip onto the accelerator pedal (RHD).
There was nothing bad to see under the cowl. I have messed with the folding windscreen frame more than once: the water is not getting in that way.
I will silicone the rubber grommet where wires from the engine bay enter the cabin on the right side. Perhaps the wires I added there are a gateway for water.
There is a drain slot in the bottom of the bonnet hinge pocket.

Where does that water go after passing through the slot?

1596314675014.png

1596314652933.png

Thanks.

I ordered some oil/fuel resistant butyl rubber caulk to use as glue to re-connect bonnet skin to frame.

I have the same water leak on my RHD BJ73. Water soaks my right foot in the rain. Even while stationary it gets a pool of water on the floor. Less on the PS than DS. I have not explored it and keep it garaged. :popcorn:

Here is another conversation about it:

Last edited:
If it ever does NOT rain one afternoon, I will do garden hose tests.
Bonnet is not back on yet anyway.

I think I stopped the leak by putting "flowable" silicone all over the rubber grommet where the wiring passes through the firewall.
I had added several wires through that grommet and that allowed water to get through.
No leak during garden hose testing.

1597180766336.png

1597180902026.png

I used seam sealer in a caulk tube/gun to reattach the bonnet's frame and the sheet metal "skin".

1598200234671.png

I think I first found it years ago at Advance Auto or another parts place.
It was toothpaste tube size.
The caulk gun size I used this time was named "self leveling" silicone.
silicone

I looked up the flowable, self leveling seam sealer.
I did not know That existed.
3m seam sealer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom