Home Made Tools (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ if I had made this, the odds of the centerlines matching and the chuck going on without needing to lift it would be 1%...

Last edited:
Well it's all math (basic really) and DRO work. The reality of most of my personal shop project are off the cuff with no drawings. I envision it then build it.

A tool doesn't have to be permanent but can be improvised and temporary. This was cobbled together from some hub I had meant to go on a motor shaft, a crappy Harbor Freight 3/4 drive socket, and the threaded rod from a spring compressor. The Mercedes tool it emulates is meant to change bearings while on the car. Mine is all apart so I could use the shop press but this part is so awkward and I'm working by myself.

tmp-cam-4362064359801961615.jpg

tmp-cam-2344789224368165214.jpg

Speaking of that crappy HF socket set....I sacrificed the 41mm to make this Mercedes SST for the locking but on these bearings. The tool is pushing $100 these days for something I will likely only use once. Broke one of the tabs breaking free a nut that had been in place for over 35 years. Hope it holds together for reassembly.

tmp-cam-3935030787807319740.jpg

Speaking of that crappy HF socket set....I sacrificed the 41mm to make this Mercedes SST for the locking but on these bearings. The tool is pushing $100 these days for something I will likely only use once. Broke one of the tabs breaking free a nut that had been in place for over 35 years. Hope it holds together for reassembly.

View attachment 2548184

If you hold your tongue just right, that chinesium should be good to go

I made a tool for disconnecting harness connectors. $10 pliers, 10 minutes with a gas torch, pliers, grinder, file. Good to go.

It grips the connector by the release tab with the hooked end, and the body of the connector on opposite side.
Offset pliers grip the connector, but stays clear of harness.
Allows you to pull on the connector without pulling on the harness.

Most the harness connector retaining clips work the same way, so this will work for the majority of harness connectors

View attachment 2550999

View attachment 2551000

Another tool mod happened today.

Added a cradle to the top of a bottle jack.
I use this jack in the garage to jack up my 80. With the round top, it was a bit sketchy jacking under radius arms or diff housings.

Used a bit of SS flat bar and some pointed grub screws threaded in and tacked in place

20210115_170746.jpg

20210115_170209.jpg

Another tool mod happened today.

Added a cradle to the top of a bottle jack.
I use this jack in the garage to jack up my 80. With the round top, it was a bit sketchy jacking under radius arms or diff housings.

Used a bit of SS flat bar and some pointed grub screws threaded in and tacked in place

View attachment 2553797

View attachment 2553798
starting a side line on torture tools? :flipoff2:

Hose clamp pliers. I had the idea but @nvrlose54 made it happen. I wanted a set of pliers with a wider jaw width for clamping the taps on hose clamps. I tried a set of commercial hose clamp pliers and they were worse than the standard pliers. I expect these to work well.

IMG_5678-1.jpg
IMG_5679.jpg
IMG_5680.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom