Home Made Tools (1 Viewer)

I am not finding any threads involving them here- search is not as useful as it used to be...Lets have any and all home made tools pics and threads linked here, please?...I am thinking of turning a bar clamp into a valve spring compressor...has anyone done a wood lathe based valve face grinder?

here's one I just made--a hose release tool-poke the pointy end underneath the hose between it and the hose connection--run it around the connection to break loose the sticky the clamp made--works great!

cooling hose release tool2.jpg

HANDY, I like it.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Craftsman makes a tool that is perfect for removing hoses... $2.47 each, not worth making your own.

Sears.com

spin_prod_1066498212

71FJnick

SILVER Star
I agree completely, the axle piece actually has a pretty good saddle on it and there is a bolt that attaches to the jack pad (thru hole). I do want to add some angle to create a saddle for the diff to keep it from sliding. And as mentioned, no crawling under the truck without Jack stands!

Sent from my iPhone

Actuall is a railroad track jack with some material added to it. Many hours behind one of these. Darn tough to break

chupacabra
My homemade F-series crankshaft immobilizer (to take off or torque on the big crankshaft pulley bolt).

Craftsman makes a tool that is perfect for removing hoses... $2.47 each, not worth making your own.

Sears.com

spin_prod_1066498212
Sears is almost 30 miles from me--at 10 MPG, I'd spend $12 or more just to get there-This thing cost me 20 minutes of work time to make--no contest-

I am not finding any threads involving them here- search is not as useful as it used to be...Lets have any and all home made tools pics and threads linked here, please?...I am thinking of turning a bar clamp into a valve spring compressor...has anyone done a wood lathe based valve face grinder?
Seems like this would be easy to do--you could convert the tool holder to hold the facing burr---someone has to have done this?

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Not exactly a tool but I keep a set of studs around to use as guides when I replace the oil pan on a F series engine. I thread 4 of them into the engine then position the pan and hold it with nuts. Then I use a few bolts to pull the pan up, remove the studs and finish installing the bolts.

Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
The first fabricated tool I ever saw was using old head bolts with the heads cut off and a slot cut in the top as guides to get the engine head back on straight.

I like to make three of them, and put them on the last three bolts in the tightening pattern. Then when I install the rest of the bolts, I can remove them with a large slotted screwdriver and install the remaining three bolts, in sequence.

I like to use 2x6 with regular door hinges to build impromptu sheet metal brake of the size required. Also, threaded rod makes excellent clamps.

My dad could out-cobble anyone, though. He once took the front end of an old Ford truck and welded plates onto the stub axles and used cables and turnbuckles to mount a set of wheels to a small building in order to pull it down the road behind a tractor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom