Home Made Tools (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

no, the broken guide I saw was the one with 3 bearings. Only aluminum though and the head broke off the shank probably due to the blade snagging the part or the table. It was held with 2 screws like yours I think.

Made a pressure brake bleeder system. 10 psi.

upload_2017-2-19_0-25-25.png

upload_2017-2-19_0-25-41.png

Needed to install a bearing retainer in a tight location. I found a piece of scrap with the correct diameter saving me time on the lathe.
Mounted on mill and found center, made adjustment and took .135" leaving a raised centered portion to engage to bearing retainer.
IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0506.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG

SMG, they (the green ones) used to come with a table like that. It mounted directly on the blade guide. And I've seen one guide broken because of it.

My HF band saw (bought in 2014) came with the vertical saw table from the factory. It's just a stamped piece of thin steel but works OK if you install the bracing for it. It's good for non-precision sawing. I use it all the time to cut out small sheet metal parts.

Once you replace the POS blade it comes with (I got a Starret blade), and get it adjusted properly, this is good saw for the money. There are all kinds of mods you can do to improve its usage.

The newer red HF ones do appear to have better blade guides than the old ones (green).

Many YouTube videos showing a lot of cool mods to be made to this saw. Auto drip lubing, chip pan collector, many vise mods including small part holding, air and hydraulic cut control...

found this deep in 60s tech...

I don't know if this is really very helpful or not, but here's a little video I did when I was dissecting my ex-cylinder head. Shows the spring compressor I made and how to do it. Pretty easy really.

Many YouTube videos showing a lot of cool mods to be made to this saw. Auto drip lubing, chip pan collector, many vise mods including small part holding, air and hydraulic cut control...

Anyone modify the HF wood-cutting band saw for metal? I saw some threads elsewhere involving a set of reduction pulleys to slow the speed.
The table and guides on the saws look good. 14 in. 4 Speed Woodworking Band Saw

SMG,
Really good work!

I need something similar for the rods I use with my old school torch: fillers and brazing rod.

SMG,
Really good work!

I need something similar for the rods I use with my old school torch: fillers and brazing rod.

Thanks for the compliments, I did however make another set when I had these cut on the water jet. My plans are to put together this kit and then post it for sale in the miscellaneous section.
These are made out of Stainless steel so you would never have to worry about rust. All you need is 1, 1/4" PVC

Thanks

Bump for a great thread!

Just another shop press use.

30C2472F-0852-42B5-9880-1F0EDB4509C0.jpeg

Made some bushing press tools.

The bushing is for a 1978 D&K 72" box and pan break getting a full restoration. These particular bushing are close to 4" ID and are used in the center link adjusters. I had to make the bushings as well.
IMG_2300.JPG

Pressing out the old bushings.
IMG_2290.JPG

Pressing in the new bushings. notice a slight bead of assembly lube forming.
IMG_2609.JPG

Done, The bushings are made from Oilite bronze (oil impregnated).
IMG_2619.JPG

The added ball oilers will flush away any fine ware particles.
IMG_3263.JPG

In keeping with home made tooling LC related, I made some seal drivers as needed for the 40's front and rear axel. Since then the tool had grown to different sizes to include a 1500 Silverado New process T-case and 2500HD New process T-case drivers. Matirial used is whatever I have on hand. The hand held piece is 1" round bar knurled, drilled and tapped securing the different drivers. The drivers are aluminum, teflon, and delrin.

40"s passengers rear axel seal was leaking, the new Timkin's are driven in with the black delrin driver. The drivers support the ID on most applications and are close tolerance to prevent any trauma resulting in leaks.
IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG

The smaller aluminum driver reaches in to drive in the improved Marlin Ecoseals.
IMG_0133.JPG

The driver set has grown as the needs arise. Some of those drivers have interesting profiles not found with generic drivers
mVbXH6gmTAaHnHqkTxhy+A.jpg
IMG_0303.JPG

Making your own tools and tooling is rewarding.

Last edited:
Cool thread. I love this sort of stuff. I've been cobbling together tools and aids for years for home workshop, and as a carpenter and general contractor. Don't have pics of most things.

Here a couple of simple ones I've done recently

20201231_141838.jpg

Cut a shallow grove ¼" in from the end of bull nose pliers with a 1mm zip disc.
This is perfect for gripping the OEM spring clamps on heater hoses etc.
The groove stops the clamp slipping out of the jaws.
Sick a simple thing completely transforms the functionality of pliers in this application and hasn't had any impact on other uses.

IMG-20201025-WA0005.jpeg

A pick I made from a busted screw driver to pull spark plug tube seals. I needed a sturdy pick.
This has proven to have a thousand uses since I made it.
Have since reground the end with a finer edge and sharper taper

IMG-20201010-WA0022.jpeg

IMG-20201010-WA0019.jpeg

This one is a valve spring compressor made with a bar clamp, old socket and a nut. Clamped out together and welded the nut and socket in place. Then cut the guts out of the socket to allow access to remove and install valve retaining collets.
This worked an absolute treat! Took 15 minutes to make.

Simple modification sure make life easier.
Here's another custom made tool I made for swapping in/out a Bison 4 jaw combination chuck on the lathe. With three shoulder surgeries I no longer need to wrestle with the 75 lbs.
beast. Keep in mind there are three 7/8" pins that require alignment as well as a master index mark.
The material I used was left over from a job I did for a customer. It recycled plastic made to mimic 2X4 for decking. It machined beautifully and slide on the lathe bedways effortlessly.
7152DF8C-1A71-4AC9-9895-A27D310AEB9F.jpeg
A8E002D7-DDB9-4992-9266-37C2360F1E3E.jpeg
ED7471BA-FABA-4668-926D-231904F95287.jpeg
AF643350-9FFB-46FA-95EC-B48371AD4774.jpeg
47DF3BFA-B878-42B2-BB91-75D22406C991.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom