Holley Sniper Tuning (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

#1. TPS should sweep from 0 to 90 or better with the pedal. Something needs adjustment or modification.
#2. That's canister or other venting issues. Likely unrelated to Sniper.
#3. Duty cycle is high at the beginning. It showed 14% at 658rpm and 17xF. Over 160F coolant temp you should see IAC % in the low to mid single digits at idle. The 20% reading is the IAC Park position. It lives there so the speed can ramp down to idle...it's an electronic dashpot.
#4. These 2Fs like 13ish numbers. You can lean it out when cruising up to maybe 14.2 or 14.3, but that's an MPG game...and these things aren't a Prius...

#1. TPS should sweep from 0 to 90 or better with the pedal. Something needs adjustment or modification.
#2. That's canister or other venting issues. Likely unrelated to Sniper.
#3. Duty cycle is high at the beginning. It showed 14% at 658rpm and 17xF. Over 160F coolant temp you should see IAC % in the low to mid single digits at idle. The 20% reading is the IAC Park position. It lives there so the speed can ramp down to idle...it's an electronic dashpot.
#4. These 2Fs like 13ish numbers. You can lean it out when cruising up to maybe 14.2 or 14.3, but that's an MPG game...and these things aren't a Prius...
My experience has been the same in my '75 with the Sniper over the last 600 miles. They do reward having a good condition battery and cables. When running, mine is ~ 12.5 amps. At initial start up, charging is at 14.5.

What impacts Duty Cycle? What do we adjust/fix to bring it down? Or is this ok?

Hey guys,
Kind of related
My sniper EFI 2300 (2F engine 1976 FJ55) is having a lot of problems on cold engine stalling out, self tuning has seemed to make it worse (than the default config)

I was wondering if anyone could be so kind to share their config file for their 2F engine, (or something similar so I can have take a look at how others have approached this)

edits:
  • I noticed that the target AFR dropped from 13.0 to 12.5 on RPM issues (AFR itself jumped way up (50) and IAC too) but don't know if these were the causes or effects.
  • (For one reason or another I am keeping on having my account on the Holley forum not approved for posting, and then deleted?)
  • (I noticed a previous comment saying the file type couldn't be uploaded, renaming the file extension (i.e "2300_2_ZAA.sniper" to "2300_2_ZAA.sniper.csv" should do the trick, it can be renamed back once downloaded)
Cheers,
Aaron

Last edited:
Aaron.
Have you reset everything and started over using the wizard? Holley also sells a connection to hook up to a laptop so you can adjust in real time and see results.

Aaron.
Have you reset everything and started over using the wizard? Holley also sells a connection to hook up to a laptop so you can adjust in real time and see results.

Hi ksollinger!
No not yet, maybe I should! I'll do that and share the results.
  • Update: ~200km driving about 50km urban, and 150km highway no noticeable difference, still issues on cold engine.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Kind of related
My sniper EFI 2300 (2F engine 1976 FJ55) is having a lot of problems on cold engine stalling out, self tuning has seemed to make it worse (than the default config)

I was wondering if anyone could be so kind to share their config file for their 2F engine, (or something similar so I can have take a look at how others have approached this)

edits:

I did notice that the AFR dropped from 13.0 to 12.5 on RPM issues but don't know if this was the cause or an effect.

(For one reason or another I am keeping on having my account on the Holley forum not approved for posting, and then deleted?) also

(I noticed a previous comment saying the file type couldn't be uploaded, renaming the file extension (i.e "2300_2_ZAA.sniper" to "2300_2_ZAA.sniper.csv" should do the trick, it can be renamed back once downloaded)

Cheers,
Aaron

Are you running the fuel return line from the carb or from a filter/regulator?

Note, you can read a part in my thread (post #1,586) about my Sniper stalling issues before the engine comes up to temp: "Click Here"

Send me your email. I'll send over a known good config.

Are you running the fuel return line from the carb or from a filter/regulator?

Note, you can read a part in my thread (post #1,586) about my Sniper stalling issues before the engine comes up to temp: "Click Here"

That is an excellent thread! Great reading!

I used a Mosley Motors kit with a return filter installed in the engine bay, and using the 5/16 (naughty) hard lines already on the FJ55 to that filter and 3/8 line from the filter / splitter to the EFI. I have put some pics (excuse the mess :p its not as neat as some other motors here)

Send me your email. I'll send over a known good config.

That would be great!

20200912_231723.jpg

20200912_231658.jpg
20200912_232029.jpg
20200912_232249.jpg
20200912_232331.jpg

That is an excellent thread! Great reading!

I used a Mosley Motors kit with a return filter installed in the engine bay, and using the 5/16 (naughty) hard lines already on the FJ55 to that filter and 3/8 line from the filter / splitter to the EFI. I have put some pics (excuse the mess :p its not as neat as some other motors here)

That would be great!

View attachment 2433241
View attachment 2433242View attachment 2433243View attachment 2433244View attachment 2433245

@amsm141 did you ever get get cold start issue figured? I’m trying to troubleshoot one myself on a fresh install. Using Mosley kit as well...

We did a bunch of work on the fuel system, TPS, etc... The rig feels like it's running beautifully. I've put maybe 250 miles on it since any work has been done.

Does all this look about right? Duty cycle still seems high.

Update on my bogging issue as well. Replaced my hei cap, rotor, and coil recently. Runs absolutely amazing now. So much more enjoyable to drive now!

Update on my bogging issue as well. Replaced my hei cap, rotor, and coil recently. Runs absolutely amazing now. So much more enjoyable to drive now!
Which makes me think in some of these bogging situations where all that is new then maybe a hotter plug with more gap

What’s it doing?

Got most of the demons sorted. Still having issues before it's up to temp when I'm coming to a stop or downshifting (so clutch in and quick deceleration). Need to stab the throttle to keep it from dying. Seems like a fuel issue—thinking I need more fuel in the 25 or less kPa range, across all rpm ranges? Does anyone have thoughts on the datalog?

Got most of the demons sorted. Still having issues before it's up to temp when I'm coming to a stop or downshifting (so clutch in and quick deceleration). Need to stab the throttle to keep it from dying. Seems like a fuel issue—thinking I need more fuel in the 25 or less kPa range, across all rpm ranges? Does anyone have thoughts on the datalog?

Isn’t this usually an AIC ramp down issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom