Holley Sniper 2GC Small Bore Fuel Injection installed on my 1964 1F Single Barrel Manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
I received my third Holley Sniper kit today, this one being based on the Rochester 2gc small bore.
My first two were the 2300 series. They both were such great upgrades I thought I would try out the 2GC kit as I consider it a better match for my single barrel manifold 1F.
I don't have any proof that it's a better option, but it matches well with the stock air cleaner, and gives a better footprint for mounting, so I figured I would give it a shot and find out! :)
The kit arrived well packed and beautifull per usual.

20191230_153941.jpg

Since I am familiar with this kit, I bypassed the standard oogling for an hour, and wanted to see if it would even mount properly to my Transdapt 2025 adapter.
I already mounted the adapter to the manifold.
I was happy to find that with a bit of opening the holes (bringing them in towards the center) the throttle body mounted securely.
I then started working on a throttle cable bracket solution.
I had a leftover generic lokar that I think might work. But I may end up fabricating my own as I had to coble two brackets together to get the proper geometry I wanted.
That's as far as I got tonight. I will post more as I move forward. Please ask any questions, and let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Here are some additional pics of how it mounts up. And my first go at a throttle bracket.

20191231_000147.jpg
20191231_002238.jpg
20191231_002630.jpg
20191231_002853.jpg

Couple more...
You may notice I deleted the heat actuated spring valve that helps get the engine up to temp faster. Holley recommends to remove it as it's not 100 percent reliable, and the ecu can adjust as necessary far better than a 50 year old sticky spring... :)

20191231_003214.jpg

20191231_002144.jpg

That'r really cool. I was very curious how one of these would work on a straight six.

I'm sure this will turn out nice :popcorn:
JP

Not a lot to report.
As far as the adapter between the Sniper and manifold, I'm running the transdapt 2025.

The manifold is now mounted back up, I'm in the middle of getting the Sniper / air cleaner lined up. Had to do some minor mods the the bracket that holds the air cleaner body elongating the mounting holes to move it .5 inches towards the rear. That got them lined up, but the mouths of the sniper and air cleaner sit about 1.25 inches away from each other. That has me getting creative and turning to my newly acquired 3d printer to build a custom sleeve that mates and seals the two together.
That's been built and fitted and now going to print one out of high temp ABS.
This 3d printing has me going on marathon learning / thinking sprees, and drawing up all sorts of things for the Cruisers.
So far, I've printed up some covers for the early tnk wipers, fuel line floor grommet, some custom brackets for installing modern gauges into stock clusters similar to what amaurer was doing back in the day, my air cleaner sleeve, and some cool custom knobs based on the early light and wiper ones, but with a twist.

Anyhoo, I plan on getting fuel system plumbed and routed, and wrapping up the sniper install by the end of the weekend.

So.. not much going on.. :)

20200113_080009.jpg
TNK Cover.JPG
Knob Pic.jpg

OK, bringing this back up for updates and questions.

So, this model is what one would have to use if you want to use an air cleaner designed for a 1 Barrel carb, correct?

Is the adapter you are making to go from the Sniper throat up to the air cleaner to take in the gap?

What would it take to put this Sniper on a F145 intake?

I see the reason for this with the F135 intake but if you were using a F145 to 1 barrel air cleaner would you do a 2300 and then a neck down adapter to the early air cleaner?

One barrel or two barrel. It will work with all the air cleaners if you used the adapter to bridge the gap. The adapter would need to vary just a bit. I found the early 1 barrels, the mid 2 barrels, and the 2F air cleaner openings are all a bit different in size. The 2GC best matches the 1 barrel.

And yes, this adapter is made to bridge the gap between the Sniper and aircleaner.

From my research, I do believe the overall performance of the various 2 barrel Sniper systems is similar. So that had me looking at options that would better fit the older 1 barrel intake. Hence the 2GC.

I do believe that you can bolt on the 2GC to a 145 manifold (maybe all of the 2 barrel manifolds?) by opening up the holes on the 2GC. I will need to take a look and confirm this... But this would eliminate the need for an adapter between the Sniper and manifold.

Let me dig around and see what I come up with...

Ran metal line from pump to Sniper, now working on return line. Going metal there as well.
In the middle of getting an adapter for the water temp sender, but in the mean time running it inline with heater hose and an adapter.

Also decided to build a separate fuel return line into the fuel filler neck. Drilled it and soldered in 3/8 metal line bent 90 degrees and pointing towards the tank.

This way I can customize the vent line separately. I will be adding a mini charcoal canister to the vent line. Discovered many efi conversions are using this method with great results. Its designed to filter the vacuum line on a brake booster for corvettes.

20200229_154107.jpg

20200229_191930.jpg

And....

If I had to do this over again, I would get the 2GC LARGE BORE , not the small bore. Large bore bolt patter is nearly identical to the 2 barrel manifolds on 40 series, and adapters aren't needed if your willing to drill out 2.5MM on the snipers mounting holes. But I think the biggest plus is the fuel line options and easy routing. Even on this single barrel manifold, and adapter would be bolt on and not need modifications.

So lesson learned. I'm going to get the 2GC large bore for my 77 project coming up in a few months.

And for spacing the Sniper up off the manifold, I'll just run the stock phenolic spacer with heat shield from cityracerllc.

And....

If I had to do this over again, I would get the 2GC LARGE BORE , not the small bore. Large bore bolt patter is nearly identical to the 2 barrel manifolds on 40 series, and adapters aren't needed if your willing to drill out 2.5MM on the snipers mounting holes. But I think the biggest plus is the fuel line options and easy routing. Even on this single barrel manifold, and adapter would be bolt on and not need modifications.

So lesson learned. I'm going to get the 2GC large bore for my 77 project coming up in a few months.

And for spacing the Sniper up off the manifold, I'll just run the stock phenolic spacer with heat shield from cityracerllc.

For the 77 why would you not get the 2300? I thought this was all about the throat size going into an early air cleaner.

For the 77 why would you not get the 2300? I thought this was all about the throat size going into an early air cleaner.

The 2gc large bore air cleaner opening is close to the stock openings on the 2 barrel 40s. And now I know that regardless all options need a spacer to fill the gap between the air cleaner and Sniper.
The small bore does match up well in air cleaner size for my 1 barrel, but that alone does not outweigh the benefits of the other.
  • Fuel line routing options
  • Almost a direct bolt on
  • Air cleaner match for 2 barrel rigs
  • Cleaner install

The 2300 is tried and true with the best support.
Im going with the large bore 2gc next to make sure I’ve tried them all.

So it sounds like you’ve tried a variety of Sniper systems on Toyota’s.

I’m going to install a Holley Sniper system on my 1983 Pickup with the 22R engine. The little 2.4 liter engine is significantly smaller than my 4.2 liter 2F (with Sniper 2300). I would like to use the 2300 with my 22R because that’s what I’m familiar with, but I’m concerned it might be too large for the 2.4 liter engine. Do you have any feedback on sizing and air flow?

Both the 2300 and the 2GC use the same 100lb/hr injectors (2). But will the 2GC be better suited for the smaller 2.4 liter engine?

I don’t care about performance. Just cold-start, reliability, and drive-ability.

Thanks!

So it sounds like you’ve tried a variety of Sniper systems on Toyota’s.

I’m going to install a Holley Sniper system on my 1983 Pickup with the 22R engine. The little 2.4 liter engine is significantly smaller than my 4.2 liter 2F (with Sniper 2300). I would like to use the 2300 with my 22R because that’s what I’m familiar with, but I’m concerned it might be too large for the 2.4 liter engine. Do you have any feedback on sizing and air flow?

Both the 2300 and the 2GC use the same 100lb/hr injectors (2). But will the 2GC be better suited for the smaller 2.4 liter engine?

I don’t care about performance. Just cold-start, reliability, and drive-ability.

Thanks!
So, the Holley is easier than a 22RE, retrofit or swap?

So, the Holley is easier than a 22RE, retrofit or swap?

Not sure. Where do you find a complete 22RE retrofit/swap with wiring harness?

Edit: I spoke to a buddy who did the Sniper install on his Toyota pickup. His truck is a late-model that had factory EFI. He converted it to the Holley Sniper 2300 setup and prefers it. Says the truck drives much better with the Sniper. Anecdotal, but food for thought.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom