Hole-in-the-Rock Run: Columbus Day Weekend, October, 2012 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
Well, here is the official thread for this trip.

(Jon--if we can get a stickie on this one)

Columbus Day is Monday, October 8th this year.

I'm not very particular about things like food, drink, etc. Just as long as everyone has what they need for themselves. This is a four day trip which means you should plan on being able to survive for four days in the wilderness.

So, first off, we have dates: Friday, October 5th-Monday, October 8th.

Meeting spot: Sinclair Gas station south of Blanding, UT. Can't miss it. Intersection of Rt 191 and Rt. 95. 8am.

Usual pack it in and pack it out rules will apply--please have your PEET's with you. :) Dinner's will be communal with everyone throwing food in. Breakfast's will be on your own or communal as well as lunches. No drinking while driving.

After we meet we will head down to Hall's Crossing and get gas (expensive, but open 24/7 if they have petrol) and any last minute items at the store if it is open. Plan accordingly. I recommend at least one 5gal of gas (two would be ideal).

Firewood: we need to bring this in. There is very little to no trees or vegatation on the route; that said, we did find some at the shelf camping spot this past year and had a heck of a good fire. Nonetheless, having firewood is a good thing.

Vehicle specs:

1. Minimum 33" tires
2. At least a rear locker
3. Sliders preferable
4. Recovery gear mandatory (tree straps, d-shackels, etc.)
5. 2M radio (146.460 will be primary, with 146.400 being our secondary)
6. Tip-top shape truck: if you break down and cannot fix your own junk, don't
expect Ali and I to fix your truck for you :hillbilly: :flipoff2: :eek:
7. Spares: please bring spares that you would normally bring for a
"tough" run: brake lines, birfs/axle shafts, hoses, belts, etc.
8. Did I mention your junk should be in order? :hmm: :wrench:

People Specs: This will be a tough trail. It is very daunting at first, but it gradually becomes very epic. There are some pretty hairy spots, places where things can get damaged, places where one wrong move will throw you down 200 hundred feet. It is not the Rubicon; but it is tough. There are also really easy spots, and places to speed up and have fun. :clap: You will need to be open-minded and in it for the long haul--like I said--4 days. You will also need to take direction for spotting. Mainly, you just gotta have a good attitude and be ready to be blown away by one of the most epic trails in the US IMHO.

Here are some maps of where we will be going (first one is the "northern" portion, the second is the "southern" portion. Any internet search will bring up tons of information and pics. Do be clear that there are two HITR's: one on the western side of Lake Powell (easy) and one on the east side (difficult). We will be doing the eastern side one.

Anyway, looking forward to doing this trail with the HDC folks. I think you will really, really dig it. It is my favorite trail of all time.

best regards.
-onur

hitr-n.jpg

hitr-s.jpg

i forgot to add that if possible, please post up your intention to come.

if there is not enough interest, then i can delete the thread.

I am in. I do need to do some work to the cruiser and the trailer, but I have time if I start now...:rolleyes:

so no one else is even interested? thats odd. lots of folks seemed interested a few months ago.

if no one else besides shawn shows interest, ill get rid of this thread

thanks
onur

As much as I would really like to make this trip, I can't. That is the weekend before our big event at the garden. There is no way I'm getting time off.

so no one else is even interested? thats odd. lots of folks seemed interested a few months ago.

thanks
onur

Take it easy, killer. It's only been up for 2 days. Let people check on work and such.

Not everyone is the big boss like you.

I just saw this late last night. I am interested and we probably have others.

What is the planned arrival time at the Blanding exit? I'm trying to decide if I need to take off Thursday through Monday or through Tuesday.

-Mike-

want to go, can't commit without rig... it WOULD be one hell of a shakedown though. maybe more than i am willing to give it.

My son and I are interested.

What is the planned arrival time at the Blanding exit? I'm trying to decide if I need to take off Thursday through Monday or through Tuesday.

Its been over 24 hours since this question was asked. I guess we should pull the thread if we can't get answers to simple questions on a timely basis.

:flipoff2:

-Mike-

Its been over 24 hours since this question was asked. I guess we should pull the thread if we can't get answers to simple questions on a timely basis.

-Mike-

Oh man, that's good!

-Mike-

I'm hyper accelerated right now which is why I need answers now!!

Yes, meeting at Blanding Friday morning would probably necessitate leaving the night before and driving through the night or getting there Thursday night, staying in a hotel, and meeting on Friday.

Personally, I will be going down the day before and staying in Blanding.

The meeting time can be changed though if enough people can't make it at that time.

I'm flexible.

So there are hotels in Blanding? Which ones are good ... errh clean*? What are the next closest ones?

* Probably without bedbugs...

We will probably come up late Thursday night, so Friday through Monday is good.

Tires will be gone well before then...
Sliders are over-rated!
Lol

Daisy

Yeah, sliders are over-rated, says the low rider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom