HJ61 24v vs 12v (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I’m new here and new to my cruiser in general. Just got a 1989 HJ61 RHD turbo diesel 12HT and am needing to learn more. Alternator just went out and so I am trying to understand the pros and cons of 24v vs 12v. Is the 24volt system just good for more starting power in cold climates or does this also mean (as my cousin suggested) that the 24volt system has military grade waterproof wire? I’m debating whether to convert it to 12volt or keep the 24 since I’ve been having a hell of a time finding a replacement external regulator alternator or someone to rebuild it. The external voltage regulator also doesn’t appear to be waterproof and so I’m also debating whether to convert to internal regulator. I don’t know very much about all this so input is very much appreciated.

Is your regulator the problem or the alternator? Alternator should be fixable by a proper auto electric shop. Maybe try looking for one that services tractor trailer rigs.

I doubt whether the quality of the wiring is any different between 12v and 24v on a landcruiser. Military vehicles probably do have better wiring, but thisis not a military vehicle.
My main gripe with 24v is you have to have 2 batteries and if one dies ,the other one is useless. Where as with 12V, you only need one battery and if you have 2 , you always a have a back up.

Repco stock 24v alternators through their subsidiary Ashdown Ingram, but they are about $400 AUD

Is your regulator the problem or the alternator? Alternator should be fixable by a proper auto electric shop. Maybe try looking for one that services tractor trailer rigs.
I’m not sure, I need to check it out for myself. That’s a good hint, thanks.

I doubt whether the quality of the wiring is any different between 12v and 24v on a landcruiser. Military vehicles probably do have better wiring, but thisis not a military vehicle.
My main gripe with 24v is you have to have 2 batteries and if one dies ,the other one is useless. Where as with 12V, you only need one battery and if you have 2 , you always a have a back up.

Repco stock 24v alternators through their subsidiary Ashdown Ingram, but they are about $400 AUD
Thanks for the lead! I checked the catalog and don’t see anything for an HJ61, but I’ll try contacting the company too.

Maybe they dont stock them any more, but they do have the 24v universal type with vac pump.

This part number 27020-68060 is for a 2h 12ht toyota coaster and is 55 amp compared to yours which is probably 40 amp

Last edited:
Maybe they dont stock them any more, but they do have the 24v universal type with vac pump.

This part number 27020-68060 is for a 2h 12ht toyota coaster and is 55 amp compared to yours which is probably 40 amp
Thank you! That’s really helpful. I can’t tell though if it’s the internal regulator or external regulator. Mine is the external...

Converting to 12 volts involves a whole lot more than an alternator and a voltage regulator. You will need a starter, engine pre-heating system, all the lighting, all the relays, all the senders and all the gauges.

Converting to 12 volts involves a whole lot more than an alternator and a voltage regulator. You will need a starter, engine pre-heating system, all the lighting, all the relays, all the senders and all the gauges.
Do I have to replace wiring too? I’m really weighing it out, it sucks to have such a hard time finding parts. I’ll probably also have to change electronic window parts and sunroof motor too. I know I’d also have to do all the relays. But the AC compressor just went out and the alternator and the voltage regulator and so those seem like the most expensive components, or am I wrong?

Not the wiring, just every component it connects to.

A non-US diesel Land Cruiser is a poor choice if you are concerned about having a difficult time chasing down parts.

My 24v alternator from a 13bt packed up recently, I got someone from work to drop it off at the auto sparkies we use for mobile plant. Got it back the next day, the invoice only showed brushes as parts replaced. I was pretty happy with that, was only off the road one day, got someone to come and tow start me after refitting, back on the road.

I've previously bought an aftermarket alt for an old mitsi and basically everything was slightly different to the original and needed tweeking, wiring/oil connections/pulley. Way easier getting your existing alt fixed then you know it'll just bolt back on.

My 24v alternator from a 13bt packed up recently, I got someone from work to drop it off at the auto sparkies we use for mobile plant. Got it back the next day, the invoice only showed brushes as parts replaced. I was pretty happy with that, was only off the road one day, got someone to come and tow start me after refitting, back on the road.

I've previously bought an aftermarket alt for an old mitsi and basically everything was slightly different to the original and needed tweeking, wiring/oil connections/pulley. Way easier getting your existing alt fixed then you know it'll just bolt back on.
That’s cool. Been looking for a shop here that can do it, but so far everyone is freaked out by the vacuum hoses.

but so far everyone is freaked out by the vacuum hoses.

Why is that? The vacuum pump is a fairly simple device and many diesels use them.

Although Im not a fan of 24V, I did consider buying one some years back. I asked a local auto electrician and he said working on the system didnt bother him. He owned a JDM 24v Nissan Patrol.
Most larger trucks run a 24v system

Tell them not to worry about the vacuum hoses, and fix the parts they recognize...

As for switching to 12volt, the truck you have was never officially imported to the US. This means you will likely have a difficult time finding parts for it in 12 volt OR 24 volt. Unless you have a wrecked 12 volt HJ61 in the backyard, I wouldn't consider it a viable option to do a changeover.

Tell them not to worry about the vacuum hoses, and fix the parts they recognize...

As for switching to 12volt, the truck you have was never officially imported to the US. This means you will likely have a difficult time finding parts for it in 12 volt OR 24 volt. Unless you have a wrecked 12 volt HJ61 in the backyard, I wouldn't consider it a viable option to do a changeover.
Great advice, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom