Hitch through the factory bumper. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have seen a few pictures and cannot find them of members who have installed a hitch through the factory bumper and still have the spare mounted under the truck. I would LOVE to know how to do this!

Thanks in Advance!!

Couple of options here but, first know that it is not DOT approved. It's not that, it's not safe, just not approved. It IS approved overseas, where you can order a ready made hitch from Down Under, for example, or have one fabbed here, or fab one yourself. I have the plate drilled, and parts I made for one, but haven't gotten around to welding it together yet. I have the factory hitch, and my spare fits, but I wanted it for another attachment point. Searching should reveal previous discussions about this topic. I remember reading some years ago.

The most I will ever pull with my 91 is a jon boat or small trailer. I use the hitch mostly for my receiver hitch rack. My regular hitch hangs uner the bumper a good 4 - 6 inchs and I HATE it! Want something more low profile. If my 80 had a V8 and actually had some pulling power I would keep what I have but I am never pulling a 25ft center console with it.

The most I will ever pull with my 91 is a jon boat or small trailer. I use the hitch mostly for my receiver hitch rack. My regular hitch hangs uner the bumper a good 4 - 6 inchs and I HATE it! Want something more low profile. If my 80 had a V8 and actually had some pulling power I would keep what I have but I am never pulling a 25ft center console with it.
As long as the good men in blue, of Columbia, SC don't mind, I say go forward in good health.

I have one mounted in the center of mine, pretty easy actually, cut a hole, weld in some reciever size square tube with holes drilled in it for the pin, add gussets off the side of the square tube for strength.

It hard to tell in this pic, but the center section of the bumper is the stock crossmember, and in the center reciever there is a ring on tube for a tow point.
cody_cruiser2.jpg

Last edited:
As long as the good men in blue, of Columbia, SC don't mind, I say go forward in good health.

The other problem is if you had an accident your insurance company probably won't care how small your trailer is. The fact your towing it with a non-DOT approved hitch could end up leaving you in the lurch for a good chunk o' change.

in bumper hitch

I built a hitch into my rear bumper based on Blarsen's hitch. He does the welding for me.
Receiver hitch mod december 2010 001.jpg

Receiver hitch mod december 2010 006.jpg

Receiver hitch mod december 2010 009.jpg

On the back had to cut a U shaped 3/8 piece of plate and weld to the rear frame member, around the hitch, and across the bottom for extra strength and to transmit the load and torque from the hitch to the whole frame member.
Receiver hitch mod december 2010 001.jpg
Receiver hitch mod december 2010 006.jpg
Receiver hitch mod december 2010 009.jpg

The early 100-series was available with a 2" receiver that bolted into the rear crossmember, using those same four holes. On the 100-series there is also a square hole to pass the bracket through, and the pin installs from inside the bumper, so it's a bit tricky to reach, especially with a locking type pin. That piece is most certainly DOT approved in the early 100 seriets. You'd have to cut a square hole in the xmember to bolt it up, but once bolted up, will look 100% factory because it is. The later 100-series uses as conventional frame mounted bolt-on receiver.

98 LX470 tow adapter 51990-60010

With this setup you won't be able to fit a large tire underneath, but it looks like the stock size will fit fine.

I originally planned on using this hitch adapter but I also want to fit a 35" spare, so for me it's either one or the other, not both. I'll probably run a pintle w/ ball on mine. My small boat is about 600# including trailer so it's not a big deal.

IMO if the diesel 80 is rated for 3500kg overseas, it will be fine with whatever I want to tow. Heck, find some of the hitch warning decals (max 5000lbs etc) and stick it to the rear bumper ;)

I am kind of leaning now towards the MAF hitch. It will give me a ton more clearence than I have now and is 1/2 plate. I have never been looked at or questioned ever pulling anything and my boat is like 8500lbs. I am sure I have been over the limit on components plenty of times. Where are you guys living that are actually getting check on these issues?

The MAF bolt-on hitch works fine. Bolts right up. I'm only keeping mine in case I need to pull a standard ball hitch trailer [edit] with something other than a 2" ball like that on the pintle I curently run [/edit].

However, tell them that you're putting it on an FJ40. They got all hinky and wouldn't sell me it when I told them the first time that I was putting it on the 80. Called back a few days later and told them it was going on a FJ40 and no problem.

So long as you use it reasonably, I see no problem with it. Any small 1/4 ton trailer or virtually anything you'd take up a trail will be fine.

Obviously, you want something more robust if you plan to tow anywhere near the 80's US-rated tow capacity.

Last edited:
I have a pintle hook with a 2" ball on it.. this may be an option. I have not had time to measure the bolt pattern to see if it is direct fit..

Something like this:
Reese Towpower 74115 Ball and Pintle Hook

I have a pintle hook with a 2" ball on it.. this may be an option. I have not had time to measure the bolt pattern to see if it is direct fit..

Something like this:
Reese Towpower 74115 Ball and Pintle Hook

That will bolt right on. That's what I'm currently running.

BTW, you'll still need a place to hook up safety chains. The neatest solution is to sandwich what the military calls a "chain plate" between the hitch and the bumper, which is what I did. It has a an ear on each side with a hole in it to hook up the chains.

I have seen the pintle ball setup and it is cool but wont let me carry my cargo basket on the back. I use it alot and that is the key peice of equipment for me.

Greentruck sell me your MAF 4+ hitch?

Shouldn't an FJ40 4 bolt receiver ie Downey, MAF bolt right up??
shhould be good for 2,000 lb - gusset the bottom and rear for more tongue/flex cap

I found some pix of the hundy setup.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just got a pintle today via ebay, for $34 but the bolt pattern is too small for the LX/100 series. I figured they were s standard. The one I bought had a 3 1/2" distance between bolt holes and the 100 bumper holes are 4 1/2" apart...can't figure out how to order the correct one...

86tuning said:
I found some pix of the hundy setup.

Is this part possible to get in the USA? If so where I want it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom