Hitch Stuck in 4x4 Labs Bumper... What To Do? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

So as many have known, I purchased my rust free rig in April and LOVE it. I especially love my rear bumper. My only issue is I need to change hitches and can’t get the drop hitch out of the receiver.

I know this is not a manufacturing defect, the only reason I stated that it was a 4x4Labs is so you know what I am dealing with.

First and foremost, yes I took out the pin behind the bumper :)

I have used 2 bottles of Penetrating oil on it, heated it, ran the electric hammer on it, and pounded it with a 10 lb sledge and it just wont budge. I’ve put a scope on it and it doesn’t seem to be any rust. Also, any oils that penetrate it drip the same color, seeming to look like there is no rust.

Does anyone have any other ideas I should I take it somewhere and let them cut it out?

TIA.... :)

Danm... the title was supposed to be “Hitch Stuck”... sorry

Since the pin is out, hook up a recovery strap to it and tie that sucker around a tree or something strong.

Next, put in "D", tell viewers to stand wayyyy clear and see what happens, slowly. You should hear a "Clink"!

Just a thought

Good luck, man

Since the pin is out, hook up a recovery strap to it and tie that sucker around a tree or something strong.

Next, put in "D", tell viewers to stand wayyyy clear and see what happens, slowly. You should hear a "Clink"!

Just a thought

Good luck, man

That’s what I thought about, that or a winch, but wasn’t sure it was safe. Lol.

I guess I’ll try that in the am.

That’s what I thought about, that or a winch, but wasn’t sure it was safe. Lol.

I guess I’ll try that in the am.

Winch might not be as effective. You want that impulse. Try what Tennessee said, leave slack in the tow strap, and hit the gas! And film it so we can watch the antics unfold.

Agreed! Video or it didnt happen..

Lol... ok, there will be no video of this. It is quickly devolving into a “hold my :beer: and watch this!” Scenario. With my luck, the tree will fall over and crush the car. :bang::bang::bang::grinpimp:

I would not try the jerk it method first.

I would try getting it tight and give it some gas. If that dont work get some good tension on it and then while standing to the side as safe as you can be from flying objects tap it with a hammer.

My guess as to why it is stuck if no rust is present the pin wiggled in the <or there was a burr on the bumper or hitch> hole and caused a burr to form.

When you put it on did it slide in free or did you have to pound it on with a hammer ?

When you put it on did it slide in free or did you have to pound it on with a hammer ?

The hitch was on when I received it from the previous seller. When I got the truck off the transport the hitch was in the receiver and the pin was on the front seat. :(

While the clean and jerk sounds fun, I'd use the strap, hold tension on it, and tap each side of the hitch back and forth with a BFH. The pulling and vibration from hitting may loosen up whatever is holding it. Does it jiggle even a little?

I'd also maybe get under there and see that there's not another pin or the PO for some reason didn't have it welded in.

Ok... so in daylight, I tried and failed with everything. MULTIPLE full power 4low tugs... nothing. Static pressure and hitting it with a sledge... nothing.

I’m even deforming the back of the hitch from hitting it so hard. This thing won’t even remotely wiggle.

UGGGGGG

Maybe the P.O. had tow hitch phobia, that sucks man, maybe just leave it be?

I agree, it could be welded with a rosette weld or similar. If you can find a weld then drill/grind it out.

Otherwise you're gonna need to cut it out. Lop the end off then get inside the tube with a saws all and bimetal blade and cut it on the center of all 4 walls. That should be enough to remove it one piece at a time. You already know but all this bashing cutting, heating and general abuse could really effect the integrity of the hitch in the future, you'll want to really examine it before putting it back into use.

Maybe the P.O. had tow hitch phobia, that sucks man, maybe just leave it be?
It is a drop hitch and my trailer won’t sit level with it. I have to change it out. :(

Ok... So here is what it looks like after me banging:

IMG_4453-1.jpeg

FullSizeRender-1.jpeg

As you can see I am pounding on that stubborn piece of crap!!!

That said, I think I found the problem. I have read in other treads that people have had a hard time finding a receiver to fit the 4x4labs bumper. What i think happened is the previous owner used a sledge or something to drive the receiver in so the pin would fit. See how the top corners are here:

IMG_4457-1.jpeg

IMG_4456-1.jpeg

If that bar is solid stock I am screwed... :( U

image.png

Instead of a strap, I’d try a chain.
Maybe even heat and a chain. An inch or two of slack, and a jerk, hopefully you won’t pull the bumper off!
A chain won’t have the sling shot effect of a strap or cable.

Can you get a chain attached around the upper part of that hitch? It would be a straight pull that way. Looks like it’s wedged in there from being such a long drop hitch.

Can you get a chain attached around the upper part of that hitch? It would be a straight pull that way. Looks like it’s wedged in there from being such a long drop hitch.
I agree. If you are pulling from the ball area, that is causing a bind. It will never pull out. Try everything you can to pull from the very top with a straight pull out. Good luck with all.

Yeah, I tried a chain on a straight pull, not from the ball. I used a small bit to drill in to the shank and got in about 15mm. I really think this is a solid shank. F me.... I'm beginning to think I am FOOOOOOOKED!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom