Hitch Receiver, OEM Through Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd love to install a hitch receiver on my 2003 Land Cruiser. I don't like the after market bolt on options as they reduce ground clearance too much. The aftermarket bumpers are great and include the receiver, but too expensive.
From searching I found the Toyota bolt on receiver, 51990-60010, and I see appropriate features to mount it on the metal portion of my rear bumper (looking at the inside of the bumper). However the plastic bumper cover obscures these features.
Do I simply need to cut up my rear bumper cover, or is there a cleaner way to install the Toyota receiver on the Toyota bumper?
Detailed instructions and pictures appreciated.

Search "oem hitch", limit to titles, limit to 100 section only. Here's one example.

03 LX OEM Hitch question
Trunk Monkey,
I've preformed the recommended search and read through all the relevant threads. However this did not answer my questions.

If anyone has information regarding adding the OEM hitch receiver to a 2003 LC without a cutout panel in the bumper, I'd appreciate learning from you.

Well then it kinda seems like you're either switching to an LX bumper cover with the cutout or cutting a hole in your LC bumper . . .
Ahh, Thank you!
The LX bumper cover is exactly what I need. I just couldn't figure out if it was an option, year specific or what.

So I believe if I purchase the following two items I can add a Toyota receiver to my stock Land Cruiser bumper! ~$345 (pricing from Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Toyota Parts & Accessories Online)
LX470 Cover, Rear Bumper P/N 52159
SUPPORT ASSY, TOWING ATTACHMENT P/N 51990-60010

Has anyone done this? It would be nice to get confirmation before ordering the parts.

I added a pintle hitch with 2" ball to the rear of our LX for $63. Just traced around the edges and cut out the opening. The bolt pattern is the same as any pintle hitch or even ones off a full size 2000 and older Montero. We use the pintle pretty frequently just to hold ropes and such.

The through bumper oem hitch is great for ground clearance but there is only about 2.25" of distance from the pin hole to a 275/60/18 spare tire. Not many ball mounts or bike racks will fit without modification or removal of your spare tire. A hitch extender will work for a bike rack.

If you just need a ball for towing something like a small trailer; this works great. Something to keep in mind with using the rear cross member is the US-DOT does not put much stock in that method of towing, and requires the frame mounted version for class-III I believe. Pretty much the rest of the world uses the cross member mounted hitch. So if you are towing, just keep that in mind. Perfect for small stuff, but if you're routinely hauling a camper or boat; make sure you are safe.

Now, if you are looking to use the cross member bolts to just have a receiver, for a bike rack or other accessories, you have a ton of options. Slee makes version, there is the Toyota OEM one, one off a Montero (91-2000 full size), and Curt makes a hand full of different cross member mounted hitches. I eventually plan on replacing the rear plastic bumper cover with a metal one, so I had zero reservations about cutting a hole in the stock one. That's something you will have to decide for yourself. The cross member has 4 holes, two are threaded and 2 will require nuts on the back. IIRC the bolt size is M10 or M12 x 1.25

Make sure you have the square hole in your frame.
Ahh, Thank you!
The LX bumper cover is exactly what I need. I just couldn't figure out if it was an option, year specific or what.

So I believe if I purchase the following two items I can add a Toyota receiver to my stock Land Cruiser bumper! ~$345 (pricing from Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Toyota Parts & Accessories Online)
LX470 Cover, Rear Bumper P/N 52159
SUPPORT ASSY, TOWING ATTACHMENT P/N 51990-60010

Has anyone done this? It would be nice to get confirmation before ordering the parts.

I have the OEM support assembly, but have fits with receivers. The toyota ball mount is fine, but a WD hitch, a bike rack, or hitch mounted grill wont fit, largely because of the rounded corners. I've seen a few comments but no overall fix. Short of grinding either the assembly or receiver corners. I'd welcome thoughts.

My best guess is the OEM through bumper hitch is 50mm versus the American standard 2" (50.8mm). The difference is small enough it works for many accessories but not all. However, the frame mounted hitch is port installed and manufactured in the US with a 2" measurement. So, your choices would be to either source a frame mounted hitch receiver or Metric hitch accessories... or perhaps contact somebody like @reevesci to fabricate you a new hitch insert. This would depend on how much room there is in the bumper support to work with.

My best guess is the OEM through bumper hitch is 50mm versus the American standard 2" (50.8mm). The difference is small enough it works for many accessories but not all. However, the frame mounted hitch is port installed and manufactured in the US with a 2" measurement. So, your choices would be to either source a frame mounted hitch receiver or Metric hitch accessories... or perhaps contact somebody like @reevesci to fabricate you a new hitch insert. This would depend on how much room there is in the bumper support to work with.

Thanks! This is exactly what I've been looking for. I like the current set up, hoping to find an insert allowing me to not have to replace my bike rack, hitch mount grill among others! Sorry about the double post. Santa brought a new phone....

Last edited:

Thanks! This is exactly what I've been looking for. I like the current set up, hoping to find an insert allowing me to not have to replace my bike rack, hitch mount grill among others! Sorry about the double post. Santa brought a new phone....

I bought an extension at U Haul. It fits in the through-the-bumper receiver, and the accessories that don't fit directly in the receiver fit in the extension. Similar to this:

Curt Hitch Extender for 2" Hitch Receivers - 8" Long Curt Hitch Adapters C45791

U Haul let me take it to the parking lot and try the fit before I bought it. My only issue is that sometimes the spare tire shifts a bit and I have to move it to get the extension in.

That's a great idea. I think I found a shank that fits my WD set up, so the extender could be perfect for the lower weight bearing attachments and when pulling the TT I could use the bigger set up. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks for the tip.

Our just-traded 2016 T4R had the hitch receiver built-in to the rear cross-member. Toyota specifically said it was not rated for more than 5000 pounds and you could damage your frame trying to tow more. Which is stupid as hell, IMHO, and designed to push you up to a Sequoia if you want a Toyota SUV that can tow. That is why we traded it for a Tacoma. Myself, I'd say that is probably a fair limit, as a guess, for the towing capacity of the rear cross-member. People may use it for towing more, but I personally would not, mainly because you are towing along the axis of the bolts that hold the receiver on. Instead of towing against the full cross-section of frame-mounted hitch bolts, like with a rgegular hitch, the only thing holding the receiver on the cross-member, pretty much, is the threads of the bolts. If you do decide to do it, spend the extra coin for grade 10.9 bolts.

@Ray J I forgot to mention if you are towing more than 5k and/or using a WD hitch, you should be using the frame mounted hitch receiver (under the bumper).

Stronger Integrated Tow Hitch

Thanks for the info and the link. Intuitively it seems a WD hitch would not work in the crossmember but the explanation helps. As a non engineer I don't fully see it, but smarter folks than I say it's a bad idea

Well, as you probably know, the WD hitch redistributes tongue weight from the tow vehicle's rear wheels to the front wheels. It uses the 100's frame as a lever. The 100's rear crossmember is basically 1x4" Tall and maybe 1/8" or so in wall thickness. A 6500lb 6000lb hitch receiver is typically 2x2" and 1/4" wall thickness.... and suitable for the types of forces a WD hitch imposes.

The LC200 has a heftier rear crossmember that is suitable for a WD hitch.

200122.jpg

Photo credit to Slee Off Road

Last edited:
Cool. That makes sense. Additonal hitch this weekend. Don't most class III receivers rate @ 5000? At least those are the ones I've been finding. Any suggestions?

Also, saw some prior posting, but interested in longer term opinions on the Timbren bumper stops and how theyve fared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom