Stronger Integrated Tow Hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I really want to use this integrated hitch.
Receiverhitch.jpg

I believe this integrated hitch is rated at 5,500lbs, so I should have no problem with the roughly 1,500lbs I'm currently towing, but I want to make it stronger for piece-of-mind and for potentially towing more weight in the future.

Two Questions:

1. I can't find this hitch anywhere. I've found this pic, but that's about it. I also found this website, but it's a little sketch. Is this it?
http://www.autopartsdeal.com/catalog/?N=0&uts=true&Ntt=2007+Lexus+LX470+Hidden+Hitch+Hitch

2.Can I significantly increase the towing capacity / hitch integrity by welding this integrated hitch to the cross member?

TIA:cheers:,
Aj

Stock bumper and frame mounted trailer hitch, or you adding this to an aftermarket bumper?

Few hitches are rated at 5500 lbs. 5000 or 6500 lbs seems to be the ratings.
If you want to safely tow up to the vehicles max tow capacity, use a standard, frame rail mounted tow hitch.

That is a Toyota hitch. The dealer will have it. I think it's from a 2003 LC and LX.

Item is described as Towing Attachment Support Part # 5199060010, can be purchased for about $109.

Anthony.L said:
Stock bumper and frame mounted trailer hitch, or you adding this to an aftermarket bumper?

Stock. This hitch is designed to attach to the stock bumper.
Do you think it will provide safe towing at full capacity if it's welded (in addition to bolting) to my crossmember?

Layonnn said:
Few hitches are rated at 5500 lbs. 5000 or 6500 lbs seems to be the ratings.
If you want to safely tow up to the vehicles max tow capacity, use a standard, frame rail mounted tow hitch.

I have a hard time believing this. I hear it over and over again sans explanation.
Why would a hitch bolted to the frame rails be any different or, for that matter stronger than, a hitch that is welded to the crossmember. The crossmember is welded directly to the frame rails, which is stronger than bolts.
Per my OP, I think my setup would be stronger than the standard, frame rail mounted tow hitch you suggest and I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong with an explanation...

I have a hard time believing this. I hear it over and over again sans explanation.
Why would a hitch bolted to the frame rails be any different or, for that matter stronger than, a hitch that is welded to the crossmember. The crossmember is welded directly to the frame rails, which is stronger than bolts.
Per my OP, I think my setup would be stronger than the standard, frame rail mounted tow hitch you suggest and I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong with an explanation...

You don't necessarily have to believe me. But, Toyota only has the crossmember mounted hitch rated for 500lbs/5K (tongue weight/tow capacity). Yet, using frame mounted hitches, give you a 650lbs/6500lbs capacity.

The steel used in tow hitches are a lot thicker and stronger than the puny (comparatively) thickness of steel found in the rear crossmember. The frame mounted hitch is designed for one purpose: towing.

You'd also be very surprised at the amount of force 6-14mm fine thread bolts can apply.

I really want to use this integrated hitch.
Receiverhitch.jpg

I believe this integrated hitch is rated at 5,500lbs, so I should have no problem with the roughly 1,500lbs I'm currently towing, but I want to make it stronger for piece-of-mind and for potentially towing more weight in the future.

Two Questions:

1. I can't find this hitch anywhere. I've found this pic, but that's about it. I also found this website, but it's a little sketch. Is this it?
http://www.autopartsdeal.com/catalog/?N=0&uts=true&Ntt=2007+Lexus+LX470+Hidden+Hitch+Hitch

2.Can I significantly increase the towing capacity / hitch integrity by welding this integrated hitch to the cross member?

TIA:cheers:,
Aj

I was shopping for a 100 series- saw that hitch on a 03 LX470. I like the clean look- wish that would work on the 02 LX that is sitting in my driveway. The other style hitch, hangs down about 8 inches lower than the one pictured.

I couldn't see paying 26K for a really nice 03 with some kind of inferred night vision just to get that hitch.

Sounds like you are trying to fix what is not broken. Or maybe the wrong tool for the job?

Currently, I'm only pulling two sleds and an 8'x10' trailer -- well under the 5klb max towing capacity of the integrated hitch. However, in the future I may want to pull a larger trailer for a track car.
Jason's comments below are on point in terms of why I want to beef up the integrated tow hitch capacity.

The steel used in tow hitches are a lot thicker and stronger than the puny (comparatively) thickness of steel found in the rear crossmember. The frame mounted hitch is designed for one purpose: towing.

You'd also be very surprised at the amount of force 6-14mm fine thread bolts can apply.

Layonnn,
This is exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for, particularly the fact that the rear crossmember has thinner steel than the tow hitch and/or frame rails. THAT I did not know.
This also leads me to believe that welding the integrated hitch to the crossmember may make it stronger, but the weak point seems to be the crossmember itself, as you stated.
Also, I've been watching your build thread. My truck is the same color combo and I like what your doing. Keep it coming!:steer:

I was shopping for a 100 series- saw that hitch on a 03 LX470. I like the clean look- wish that would work on the 02 LX that is sitting in my driveway. The other style hitch, hangs down about 8 inches lower than the one pictured.

I couldn't see paying 26K for a really nice 03 with some kind of inferred night vision just to get that hitch.

Jason,
The 03 has a lot more that just the integrated tow hitch compared to the 02, especially for towing purposes: 5-speed transmission vs. 4-speed in the 02 and a little more HP all helps with towing!

For towing heavy weight on flat ground, I'd think you'd want a weight distribution hitch and I don't know if the "in-bumper" hitch is approved for a weight distribution hitch. I'd look into that.

From Lexus 2003 (when the in-the-bumper receiver was introduced):

Before towing, confirm your vehicle and trailer are compatible, hooked up properly and you have all necessary additional equipment. The factory-installed hitch receiver on the LX 470 should only be used with weight-carrying hitch hardware, not weight-distributing hitch hardware. Do not exceed any weight ratings and review all instructions and cautions from your trailer-hitch manufacturer and Lexus vehicle Owner's Manual.

From Lexus 2007 site:
Before towing, confirm your vehicle and trailer are compatible, hooked up properly and you have any necessary additional equipment. If gross trailer weight is above 5,000 lbs (2,268 kg), it is necessary to use a weight distributing hitch with sufficient capacity. Do not exceed any Weight Ratings and follow all instructions and cautions from your trailer-hitch manufacturer and vehicle Owner's Manual. The maximum amount you can tow depends on the total weight of any cargo, occupants and available equipment.

And then the Curtis aftermarket supplier's hitch. Says rated at 5k lbs for weight carrying hitch and 6k lbs as weight distribution hitch.

Jason, the 02 rear crossmember is completely different than the '03 that accommodates the receiver.

You can always mount something like this on the non-integrated rear crossmembers

hitchgalvmainbt3.jpg

it uses the existing NATO Spec (I'm assuming that's what that 4-hole bolt pattern is called) bolt-pattern on the crossmember. Or just attach a pintle.

So the hundred has a , mounting plate under the factory plastic bumper for a pintle. That sucks I sold my extra to a buddy for his 40.

03-05 do from what i have read (maybe just the LX?)
98-02 have 4 holes similar to what you see above, except the lower holes do not have captive nuts.

Last edited:
My thoughts are to use a frame mounted traditional hitch if you really are going to tow. I just dont like that setup

IMG_20120826_192309.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom