hilux + landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is what happens when a hilux and a landcruiser mated. just joking guys,newly acquired TOY. 91 4runner with 215k and a 5 speed its fairly straight and interior is clean. she is leaking at the right axle seal and there is a dead miss while running.will find the problem soon i get this in the garage.:cheers::clap:

John
IMG_7450-1.jpg
IMG_7447-1.jpg
IMG_7448-1.jpg

Burnt valve on #5 cylinder (could be #6)

If you run a compression check, this will tell you which cylinder to look at. Start with adjusting the valves, one (usually exhaust) will likely be tight. If the valves will adjust, then recheck compression and you may be good to go. If it's still low, start looking at pulling the heads and doing a valve job.

Good luck!

Combine them! Frankenlux!

Nice collection, good luck with the new ride!

thanks guys

For your compliments,yes my neighbors don't mind about my cars being rotated around the driveway and the street from time to time.

Don, the last mechanic said it had low compression on #1 cyl. i have not verified this yet but i will find out tommorow. Toyota replaced the short block 90k ago and they rebuilt the heads according to the work order from Torrance Toyota.im hoping nothing serious but if it needs a head work i will just do it.

John:D

90K sounds about right for valves to tighten up, hopefully that's all it is.

90K sounds about right for valves to tighten up, hopefully that's all it is.

How does a shim type valvetrain tightens up Don?could you please enlighten me.i have 226k on the hilux never had any valve adjustment yet i check the clearance when i replaced the valve cover gasket and they are close to specs.Thanks.:D

John:hmm:

I'm trying to formulate the answer to that. Most of it is "common" knowledge, such as how these guys put it: Toyota trucks w/ the 3.0L V6 Engine - Morin Brothers Automotive

The tightening up has to do with wear on the valve seats. This is caused by the normal heat that builds inside the combustion chamber, and worsened by adverse conditions such as lean mixtures or insufficient cooling. I guessed #5 or #6 as they are the back cylinders which receive the least efficient cooling and also can suffer in the fuel mixture area.

Like this guy on ToyotaNation 1994 Toyota Pickup 3.0 v6-Runs rough - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums you may be able to adjust it back to normal. I was able to do this for my cousin when he first got his pickup, but not all are so lucky.

Thanks

Don, that was really good info.now come to think of it that the valve seat could wear into the head it reminds me of the Mopar 5.2l and 5.9l heads had a similar issue when the valves would literally bury itself in the head.i hope it will be a simple fix thanks again Don.:D

:D I'm picturing a line-up of 4Runners instead of 60's the next time we're out your way. :popcorn:

#1 dead

I just verified that the #1 cyl. only has 25 psi compression i will be doing a leak down test to find out if valve is stuck open then maybe its just a shim adjust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom