High Steer on a SUA. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Iwas wondering if you can run high steer on a SUA? I have a 77 40. It is on it's way to being hard core, but being in Iraq and when I'm back home a full time college student doesn't leave me much cash to go SOA. I was just wondering if I could run it until I get the SOA. Thank you!!

I think 4x4 Labs sells high steer arms that work if still spring under. Honestly, though, I wouldn't bother. I ran regular steering a long time while I was SUA, and it was mostly OK. Bent the tie rod once in 7 years of Rubicons, Dusy Ershim etc.

I would do it so that when the time comes to go SOA I would have one less thing to worry about when I get the money and time .

I would do it so that when the time comes to go SOA I would have one less thing to worry about when I get the money and time .

So buy it now and do not install it.

There is no reason to do it currently..

So buy it now and do not install it.

There is no reason to do it currently..

I agree 100% with this. You will gain nothing with high-steer now. Just leave it be, and look for other stuff to fix.

Save your highsteer for when you spring it over.

BTW-the stock steering arms work pretty darn well, and the rods are all above the springs and thus protected. You can do a lot of 4wheeling just like that.

I emailed Luke a while back about his steering arms on SUA rigs. I was mainly curious about trying the improved geometry. He guessed that you would need at least 3" of lift (and maybe more) to run his arms, regardless of spring configuration, in order for the rod behind the axle to clear the oil pan (assuming a stock engine). That was a while back so he may have a better sense now of what the minimum required lift is.

edit: Just saw that you've got 4" of lift so you probably have enough clearance.

You could send your arms to OTH 4x4 and have them bent for "crossover" steering to improve geometry if need be. The tie rod would still mount of the underside of the arms.

The high steer is the main expense with soa. If you buy it, get some perches and weld them on and you're spring over

There are a lot more expenses than just the hysteer arms..

Iwas wondering if you can run high steer on a SUA? I have a 77 40. It is on it's way to being hard core, but being in Iraq and when I'm back home a full time college student doesn't leave me much cash to go SOA. I was just wondering if I could run it until I get the SOA. Thank you!!

I assume you still have the small pattern knuckles on your '78? I'll also assume you're going to run at least 35" tires on a SOA'd rig? That'll greatly increase the pressure on those knuckle studs :eek: I'm not a fan of hysteer anymore. Do a little reading about knuckle/ stud upgrades before you buy any steering parts ;p

exactly what LC Hamma just said if you have a 77 fj then you have the smaller knuckles i think only 4x4 labs sells highsteer for those knuckles. I think you should change out the knuckles to some beefy beefertons (technical term) then you can find high steer cheaper and the knuckles will hold up better. your current arm should be pretty well protected if your still sua.

If you want a strong SUA steering setup, ditch the stock steering, get some big pattern knuckles and 87 FJ60/ FJ62 steering arms (meatier than other arms), ream the steering arms for GM 1 ton tie rod ends and run 1.5" .25" wall tube for tie rod/draglink. Run either FJ60/Scout (my favorite) or the standard saginaw setup.

This is what I did to hold me over while running 37's/38's SUA.

Get a grip Full_mEtal, there are situations were hysteer on SUA can make sense.

Hello all!

I am in the process of taking my rig down off it’s SOA + 3” OME lift (came to me that way) to a SUA + 3” OME lift...

I am selling off the high steer components and 35”s to fund things but I am curious about whether I should OR can keep the high steer pitman and steering arms? With a 3” lift is there a geometry issue with keeping them, or 2) an advantage in having them? ***Furthermore, can I just use the entire high steer kit with a 3” lift?...I doubt it***

I ask because an entire Trail Gear high steer kit would be easier to sell but if there is an advantage in keeping them (knowing I have to buy replacements anyway) then I may keep them.

Also - I know it’s blasphemy to be going back to SUA but 1) they hadn’t finished fabricating the new top shock mounts, and 2) it’s going to be my daily driver / camp vehicle. We don’t intend to crawl it or do intense off-roading.:rofl:

Thanks for the advice, y’all!

Go back to low steer. Chances are you'll smack the frame with 5 to 6" less lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom