High Pitched Noise, front of engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
This is going to be tricky because it is an audible clue.

I've finally had a chance to do as much deferred maintenance as I'd hoped to and got the 80 out for a long drive and some trails. I have a sound that I can't diagnose, and am wondering if I could get some thoughts from the group?

I first thought it was the water pump, so I replaced that and the belts. Nope. Then I thought it was the alternator, so I replaced that and the tensioner. Nope. Maybe the AC, so I removed that belt, and nope. Hmm, starting to get stumped.

The noise occurs when I'm not moving, idling in the garage, so I am going to focus on what I've done in the engine bay that are in that area:
  • three belts
  • alternator (rebuilt)
  • idler puller
  • water pump
  • air conditioning compressor (done by prior owner just before me buying it)
Everything factory Toyota parts.

The prior owner replaced the following recently:
  • AC compressor
  • Aisin blue fan clutch (no knowledge of whether it was modded)
In case this is relevant, I also did the following in the last couple of weeks:
  • oil change
  • oil filter
  • valve cover gasket
  • spark plug gaskets
  • plugs
  • cap
  • rotor
  • distributor-o-ring
  • all coolant hoses
  • all vacuum hoses
  • radiator (Koyorad)
  • Coolant sensor ECT (the ECM one)
Other than radiator and coolant sensor, all parts Toyota factory from a dealer.

Timing is at 3 deg BTDC at idle, with DLC pins jumped.

Belts tensioned per FSM with a Kriket tool (3 different times now). Using the new belt spec initially and the used belt spec after that. Given how they work, there is always a possibility that I could have over-tensioned the belts, but I think I got in in the right range.

I've removed:
  • EGR, with block off plates
  • PAIR system
  • VSV assemblies and related hoses (open vacuum ports looped or blocked off)
  • Second row heat
The sound is not always present, it comes and goes, but mostly it is present.

I removed the AC drive belt, and the sound remained, so I put it back on. With the AC belt installed, AC on or AC off, no difference.

The only component I haven't changed in the drive belt area is the fan clutch and fan blade. I have replacements on order (and I plan to modify the fan clutch with the Landtank mod, I already have the 10k silicone oil).

The sound happens when idling in the garage, raising the idle by hand with the intake cam, driving down the road idling along. BUT... if I apply the tiniest amount of accelerator pedal (not even enough to register an RPM change) it goes away. If I let back off the pedal, it comes right back.

The sound pitch changes with changes in RPM, increasing with more RPM.

I tried an electronic stethoscope thing, that wasn't super helpful. I used a length of poly hose and think I have narrowed it down to somewhere above the alternator, near the coolant neck that comes out of the head.

The fan clutch resistance stops the fan immediately and doesn't make any noises when rotated by hand. The engine isn't overheating. But, I'm going to replace the fan clutch, fan blade, and FPR to eliminate possible causes, and more generally as preventative maintenance. (save the old ones for spares).

I am not saying this is it, but it has the kind of high pitch sound like a helical gear whine, where it is quiet on the drive side, and too much lash on the coast side. The sound goes away when it is under acceleration (drive) and comes back when idling (coast). My tiny animal brain wants to blame the gear driven alternator, but I don't see how they could get out of lash spec. They only install one way as far as I can see. And I don't experience the same gear like behavior/sounds in the shop, only when driving.

I have serviced the diffs with the proper amount of synthetic gear oil, and this sound happens when stopped, and is isolated to the front of the engine, so I don't think driveline gears come into play.

I think I've traced down and plugged any vacuum leaks.

Any thoughts? Fan clutch? Distributor gears? Belt tension? Timing belt tensioner? Something else?

Possibly power steering fluid or pump or gear?
What fluid do you have in it? Supposed to be ATF.
If it's low, you may get a slight noise.

How about a video (post on YT, then link it here)?

Make sure to move around slowly, move up and down so we can get a feel for location and type. Try to keep the camera out of the air stream of the fan. (and your fingers!)

Thank you.

I like that theory, it definitely seems to be in the location of the sound.

It seems loudest below the coolant neck by where it comes off the head, but my diagnostic tool (length of flexible hose) is not super accurate, sound could be reverberating off surfaces. It is definitely louder in that general area, but not near the fan, ac compressor, or even the front of the valve cover.

The power steering fluid is at the level it should be on the dipstick, I can see it in the reservoir looking full-ish, and no foaming or emulsification. The fluid is a brownish color rather than the bright red I associate with ATF. Maybe a flush and drain would be worthwhile. Could just be old and losing it's lubricating properties? I'll check the procedure in the FSM. Can't hurt to do anyway.

To post a video, I'll have to learn the YouTube thing first. I watch a lot of them, but have never posted something. Let me see if I can figure it out (or more likely ask my son).

Last edited:
@BILT4ME you nailed it! I did a PS flush and fill with ATF. Now all is quiet! I can't believe you solved this in no time flat without even without hearing the sound. That is simply amazing!! Thank you!

The old fluid was brown and very old. It was long overdue. It must've lot a lot of it's lubricating properties and that was gear on gear sound?

@BILT4ME you nailed it! I did a PS flush and fill with ATF. Now all is quiet! I can't believe you solved this in no time flat without even without hearing the sound. That is simply amazing!! Thank you!

The old fluid was brown and very old. It was long overdue. It must've lot a lot of it's lubricating properties and that was gear on gear sound?
I have to commend you for a two hour drain and flush on it!

That was fast!

How much did you spend on the parts cannon for that?

I have to commend you for a two hour drain and flush on it!

That was fast!

How much did you spend on the parts cannon for that?
Let's just pretend it was all in the name of baselining the engine for future reliability. :) lol

The actual fix cost $0.00 - I had ATF, a hose, a barbed connector, a recycled yogurt container, and an empty gallon jug...

Glad you figured it out.

FWIW some of us have replaced the ATF in the PS system with hydraulic fluid (apparently the original fill) which IME can also help decrease noise from the PS pump.

Glad you figured it out.

FWIW some of us have replaced the ATF in the PS system with hydraulic fluid (apparently the original fill) which IME can also help decrease noise from the PS pump.
Thanks, good to know. I'll give that a shot if this doesn't last.

I took a good long test drive this morning and the noise was 100% gone. Thanks again!

Parts Cannon - my belly laugh for the morning. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom