High pitched hum / resonating sound around 60mph while accelerating -- HJ61 - A440 Auto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CHILLCAT

SILVER Star
Threads
I've got a high pitched sound coming from (as far as I can tell) somewhere under the center of the rig. PO told me it was a "whistle" that he thought was the snorkel, but this sounds like a metal on metal resonating sound, and the snorkel is right by the driver window so I think that would be much more obvious.

It happens almost strictly around 55-62 MPH while accelerating (I think I've heard it once or twice at 45ish mph). If I let off the gas it stops immediately, and if I am cruising @ those speeds without having to push/accelerate the sound will often go away as well. Seems to fade away around 65mph and above as well.

Not wanting to cause major harm to something, this has basically stopped me in my tracks from taking this thing anywhere but in town. I am hoping someone has heard this before and can point me in the right direction, before paying a shop to try to narrow it down for me.

Anyone familiar? I attached a video with a sample of the sound. Its much louder in person and with the windows down. I had the windows up to minimize the wind noise, but this gives you an idea.

LINK:

Cheers

Last edited:
I would bet money that your trans output shaft has twisting on the splines.

My 62 sounded like rear axle going out, but right next to me.

A long spline input gear could fix it along with a t case rebuild, but that’s really an @orangefj45

I got my long input gear and rebuild kit from him but I went with an h55f and threw the auto away.

5F0D9110-0C7B-427C-BB56-7EAEC4B68323.jpeg

CB69ADA7-0A8F-4A57-8EE6-04C086BD2B01.jpeg

worn out idler shaft/bearings also make a high pitched noise too

Would that be in the transmission? I'm getting outside my area of knowledge here.

It sounds like I'm going to need to get someone to tear into the transmission/t-case? Possibly a rebuild on both? I don't know what shops charge for that sort of thing but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it, or if I'm getting into high $ work that would be better spent putting in a H55F?

I'd love to have the h55 but I don't necessarily want to shell out the $$ for that right now, unless it makes sense.

Thanks for the help y'all

Would that be in the transmission? I'm getting outside my area of knowledge here.

It sounds like I'm going to need to get someone to tear into the transmission/t-case? Possibly a rebuild on both? I don't know what shops charge for that sort of thing but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it, or if I'm getting into high $ work that would be better spent putting in a H55F?

I'd love to have the h55 but I don't necessarily want to shell out the $$ for that right now, unless it makes sense.

Thanks for the help y'all
The idler shaft and idler bearings are in the Tcase. If you order a rebuild kit it will come w all of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom