High Lifts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ809496TLC

80 series addict
Threads
How much lift do you need to have before starting to modify your steering mechanism? What would you do to correct it? Dropped pitman arm? Hy- steer? Off set linkage (Z) or combination? Let say you have 3,6,8 or 10 inch lift? Thanks.. :)

You should start with the castor correction with the basic OME lift.

Uh, if you're considering a 10" lift on an 80, I would hope you'd know a little more about this. :slap: :flipoff2: :D

Hello Junk! The LC came with the 850/863 with caster correction bushings when I bought it and have the J springs and L shocks for another 2 bills. 10" of lift is not far away. Now we are seeing 6" lift coil springs here in the States. I am just concern about the draglink angle. I saw Christo with the 5"+ lift with the heavy duty draglink and was wondering if that angle in some kind of way adds a lot of strain to the steering? What if you go to a higher lift like Brad, I believe that was his name, the one with the 10" super flex coils, what kind of correction/s did he do to his draglink? Are you reading this Brad? Any ideas on these? Anybody? Thanks. ???

10 inches of lift is just compensating for something else :D

Any OME J sprung truck can go just about anywhere you need it to.

Anything more...go build a rock buggy.

Height does not equal capability....often times you lose it with a higher center of gravity.

What I'm saying FJ809496huthuthike :D is that running something that extreme requires you to know a ton. If you try to do something like that too quickly, then you're doomed to be the next guy we read about in the obits.

Have you seen the truck Josh drives in GA? Pics are in hardcore section. Have you seen what trails Christo runs? There aren't many tougher.

If you are building a truck to run comps in and compete with the big guys, then answers you get here may not be right for you. Most of us beat our trucks, but also drive them on the road.

I'm just saying that before you start saying you want 10" (like your momma wants), that you may want to consider learning a lot more. Otherwise, you may not like what you get.

With 6" we are at the limits of what the stock setup allows. Yes, the draglink (relay rod) is at an angle and the truck does have some bumpsteer. However if you drop the relay rod, then you have to drop the panhard rod as well. For 10" you would have to address it.

No-one makes hi-steer arms (OK some crowd in Canada does, but not at a realistic price). So for now we have to live with it. It is not bad, Sean just drove his truck from CO to Canada without issues. Any taller, and you would have to go custom. Brad (with the big 10" lift) has actually dropped his truck down a little with new springs that he got from us. Also, the whole suspension on that truck was custom.

With the 37" MTRs on my truck 60mph is about the fastest speed i feel SAFE driving at, i think it would be alot smarter to go with a shorter lift and whack the fenders, and unless you are willing to give up some of that roadability and go 3 or 4 link good luck working with the stock steering my truck rides in road ruts like a biotch, tie rod ends last maybe 6 months on my truck and $50 a pop that sucks, heck what am i talking about anyway i'm ready to whack my fenders and move up to some 40" MTRs :D :D

Thanks for the replies guys! I am trying to pick up as much informations as I can before trying modifying my rig 6+ inches of suspension lift. The LC will be wheeled mostly on mud,dirt,water and no rocks :'(. I am going with a higher ground clearance with bigger tires. :) :flipoff2: :D. Thanks again..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom