High clearance 80 series rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

True concrete
Lets just hope Kirk is not wrapping an ARB onto the back of his 80. And Kirk why would one with your skilz be wearing an ARB? I cant wait to see the front bumper either

Its all about time my friend. when I did not have the skill I had the time. now I have the skills and every piece of equipment but no f'in time.

The ARB to me right now is a itch I just cant scratch...

Kirk

Another quick question: what thickness material are you using for the bumper and is it all the same (rear portion vs. sides, etc)? It looks like 1/8".

Thanks,
Sean

Another quick question: what thickness material are you using for the bumper and is it all the same (rear portion vs. sides, etc)? It looks like 1/8".

Thanks,
Sean

Sean. All the exterior of the bumper is 3/16" thick "grade 80" steel. The tow hook points are 5/8" thick. I dont mind the weight on the back of my truck, I need it back there for balance.

Sean. All the exterior of the bumper is 3/16" thick "grade 80" steel. The tow hook points are 5/8" thick. I dont mind the weight on the back of my truck, I need it back there for balance.

No, I totally agree with you, 3/16" is definitely preferable.....just looked thinner than that. I didn't know how to broach the subject without sounding overly critical. I was actually wondering if 1/8" would hold up, but didn't wanna ask. ;)

Sean

1/8" would fine work if designed properly. It would require additional internal gussets for the hardcore user. ARB's work fine under moderate conditions and they are barely 1/8" What is your intended use???

Going to mix up a theraflu....

Kirk

Intended use would be 4-4.5 rated (5 scale) trails here in AZ. Not quite as extreme as what I'm going to take my buggy on, but similar.

Thanks for the info.

Sean

More Pics going to finish next week!
P1000156.JPG

P1000158.JPG

P1000162.JPG
P1000156.JPG
P1000158.JPG
P1000162.JPG

you got by two inches...

so did you mount to the body mount "bolt" with the mount in the bracket?

Interesting.
rear bumper hole.jpg

you got by two inches...

so did you mount to the body mount "bolt" with the mount in the bracket?

Interesting.

Hi John,

See the piece of tubing tacked to the bumper. That is my mockup of the bushing. I chose not to use the stock bushing b/c I cut the frame off about 2" ahead of it. There will be3" dia x 1/2" poly pucks, one between the body and frame and one between the head of the bolt and the body. Inside the bumper are welded 1/2 x 13 nuts.

Kirk

This shows better how the frame was chopped horizontally and vertically. I replaced the lost cross section of the frame on top where there is plenty of room. P1000154.JPG

P1000153.JPG
P1000154.JPG
P1000153.JPG

I am no one really to give advice, but I think you should re-think just using bumpers for the body mounts.

At least that's how I read it. The 80's body moves a lot.

You may also want to consider putting in some more re-enforcement on the rear box section of the frame, as another x-member.

In the last kustom one I made, I cut off the cross member, and welded in a new one, and had a tire carrier off of a bumperette. The resulting re-stiffened frame section increased the chassis oscillation by a ton. The vibes from the tire carrier transmitted to the body and it was NOT pleasant.

j

I am no one really to give advice, but I think you should re-think just using bumpers for the body mounts.

At least that's how I read it. The 80's body moves a lot.

You may also want to consider putting in some more re-enforcement on the rear box section of the frame, as another x-member.

In the last kustom one I made, I cut off the cross member, and welded in a new one, and had a tire carrier off of a bumperette. The resulting re-stiffened frame section increased the chassis oscillation by a ton. The vibes from the tire carrier transmitted to the body and it was NOT pleasant.

j

John

I am sandwiching 40 durometer black poly under and on top of the body mount bolts.

My goal is not noise reduction or resale its simply performance. If I was driving the family around town I would have taken a different design approach. With super swampers they should give one a notice that noise and ride quality are going to suck. The bumper itself is the biggest crossmember in the whole chassis .187 thick high strength steel. It is far stiffer than the factory one I cut off. I have it anchored to the frame with 1/2" plate and 16-1/2" grade 8 bolts. As far as I tire carrier goes I plan to never run one. If I was tubby explorer traveling the earth and needed the kitchen sink inside space of the 80 I would throw the spare on the roof first. I like the spare to be inside the truck b/c I have zero departure issues and I can half ass see whats behind.

The current design does not have any angle crossmembers. I plan to move the fuel tank to the back for better weight distribution and to make the rear link setup longer. I did however make provisions for extra centter mounting points if i need to add a angled member.

thanks

Kirk

kirk, looking sweet. noticed your exhaust ended up on the shop floor (again?) :grinpimp: have you changed plans on how to route it? also, that has got to be one of the most time intensive bumper projects I've ever seen posted - so I guess you'll be making a production run this summer... :cheers:

dude, don't get me wrong, I am totally into what you are doing here. I was just shocked myself when I did what you are doing, then drove the vehicle 'round town.

It was 100% traceable back to the tire carrier. I was just letting you know it was a shocker for me to get THAT much flex out of the rear section of the 80 frame. I could literally bounce the carrier up and down, and start the body moving because I had stiffened the rear of the frame so much. It was like a big arse lever.

I have a big ole roller, and it strains at 16 gauge, (10 ga with the motor on) are you press forming your side curves?

kirk, looking sweet. noticed your exhaust ended up on the shop floor (again?) :grinpimp: have you changed plans on how to route it? also, that has got to be one of the most time intensive bumper projects I've ever seen posted - so I guess you'll be making a production run this summer... :cheers:

Hi Mike

The exhaust was out b/c I was doing some welding on the frame. It will look as before. I need to layout and plasma the side hole out.

This design is really not mass production friendly. the extent I cut my frame up most I bet are not willing to do. I forsee a wee less hardcore version in the future as a DIY kit, buy it at MAD4WD.com,maybe. thats a ways out long shot. I have so much boeing,mobility scooter,gas pump, work at my biz right now that I cant even think about l/c parts. Plus I reserve what you see as a hobby. this is all for fun. I respect the others on mud that are feeding there families selling l/c products.

Kirk

Finished welded and now I am grinding / smoothing it out. Hope to have to powder asap.

P1000188.JPG

P1000183.JPG

P1000176.JPG
P1000188.JPG
P1000183.JPG
P1000176.JPG

very nice
if the cross member is needed your rear hatch doors will let you know-if they close all is good. But as John hinted there is little replacement for a welded crossmember. Even a simple piece 3x3 square tube. now if you weld the bumper on that is a diff story....

I like the 4x4 labs bumper but this thing looks to be a full 6 inches higher on the sides.

Very nice.
High and tight.
When I did mine I cut out the cross member and removed the tire carrier from under. No problems.
Thats going to be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom