High clearance 80 series rear bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is my latest endevor on my 80. I ran my truck for a while without a bumper and thought of what would be ideal. I just couldn't keep my hands off the sawzall and cutoff wheel. I trimmed the lower portions of the body to route my exhaust up high and also to improve hanging up behind the rear tires. The frame has also been a source of hangup in the past so it was chopped up too. As more progress happens I will post em up. Kirk
rbump1(1).JPG
rbump3(1).JPG
rbump4(1).JPG

Cool, although the way I drive, I think I would want a little more sticking out the back to protect the tailgate, from me backing into something.

Cool idea. A slash cut pipe coming out of an uncut quarter would be even cooler. :)

Does your tailgate not hit those tow points?

Otherwise looks like you got what you wanted!

Jumping jebus on a pogo stick thats crazy radical.

Nice work cant wait to see the finished product.

ken

Very nice - going to wrap it around the sides or just leave it alone?

The tailgate has 3/8 inch air between the tow hooks.The sides are coming up at 45 deg angles and will fold into a 1" lip just below the taillight. From there a integrated pod of 1/4inch steel will protect the taillights. on top of this pod will be where the exo cage starts. The exhaust will be cut back inside the wing of the bumper and a stainless rectangular insert will be cut into the wing. The frame will be chopped at the yellow line and the new bottom plate of the frame rail will have 1" flanges to tie into the wings.

nice kirk. Plan on keeping it hollow so you can use it as a air tank? Just put a chuck on it and you could run air into it, then power tools or air up tires.

"You didn't cut enough. The cut line is 1/3" down the 2nd row doors, just after the hump in the floor, about 1/2 way through the fuel pump access plate"

I have plenty of cutoff wheels and sawzall blades. Wait till I put the exo on!:)

"nice kirk. Plan on keeping it hollow so you can use it as a air tank? Just put a chuck on it and you could run air into it, then power tools or air up tires."

Thought about this, some of the nuts are welded from inside the form. Might leak a little but not enough to be an issue???

Thanks guys gotta log out and get some work done...

Kirk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom