High beam indicator won't activate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dealing with some PO wiring issues. The low beams on my '84 FJ60 stay on when the stalk is in the high beam position (full forward). That's not normal right? I think this is what's preventing my hi beam indicator in the cluster from lighting up (checked the bulb, even swapped a known working one). I disconnected the big plug at the base of the steering wheel and the continuity for the headlight switches is as described in the FSM, the low beam path becomes discontinuous after pushing the stalk forward to high beam.

FWIW, the stock bulbs have been replaced with Hella H4s, I don't know if that makes any difference.

Is there some kind of common mod people do to keep the low beams on all the time? Maybe the low beam path is just grounded, not through the switch?

1605488824533.png

Do me a favor, swap in an LED bulb and see if that fixes it. Another way to check prior to LED is pull the cluster again, run alligator clips off the circuit board and connect bulb to aligator clips, if it illuminates, but faint, it has something do with with the H4s. It happened with mine when I installed Koito H4s and harness and seems to be somewhat common. Haven't found the true reason why yet, low priority.

I’ve got H4’s in my truck and no issue with the hi beam indicator. But I’m running all stock harness right now. But if someone converted to LED which I think @mattressking is pointing to then that’s one problem. Basically if someone converted from the stock ground switched circuit to the more conventional power switched circuit layout then you could have problems.

Same here. Installed the koitos with OEM harness upgrade and it’s not working. Might try the led bulb.

H4 halogen bulbs won't interfere with the blue high beam indicator on the dash. I reckon 99.743% of the time the blue high beam indicator doesn't work is because an inadequate aftermarket wiring harness was installed.
In order for the high beam indicator to work, the new wiring harness has to have three relays. The only harness I found that actually worked correctly (and had the three relays) is the one made by ARB. Cruiser Outfitters has them

Interesting because I bought the Toyota harness and it only has two relays. Could someone post the diagram for the third? Searched here but haven’t come across it yet.

H4 halogen bulbs won't interfere with the blue high beam indicator on the dash. I reckon 99.743% of the time the blue high beam indicator doesn't work is because an inadequate aftermarket wiring harness was installed.
In order for the high beam indicator to work, the new wiring harness has to have three relays. The only harness I found that actually worked correctly (and had the three relays) is the one made by ARB. Cruiser Outfitters has them

True. Was cleaning out the a/c blower and found an aftermarket relay hooked up to the red/blue stripe high beams wire behind the passenger side kick panel. Not sure if I want to start messing with that and tearing into the dash, but would seem to be the cause. Also found that 2 out of 3 wires at the headlight were hot relative to ground when high beams were on, which is not stock.

I have the same issue.

On my '96 FZJ80 (quad headlights version), one of my outer H4 halogen bulb blew (Hi/Lo Beam) and decided to take the opportunity to replace both with LEDs - but kept the inner H1 lights (Hi beam only) as halogen. Then while night driving I noticed the High Beam indicator in the dash will not come on.

I assumed it blew - like the D indicator - so I replaced the dash indicator light (and the entire dash bulbs) with LEDs. But it turns out, the bulb wasn't blown.

The indicator light will only come on for a split second when I turn the high beams on. So I tried a test where I replaced one of the H4 LEDs bulbs back to halogen.

Guess what? When I turn on the high beams, the indicator light comes on.

Is the cause something to do with wattage drawn? The LEDs are 30W each (the halogens 55W/65W). I'm not an auto electrician, so don't know how to solve this beyond going back to halogens.

Any suggestions?

OK, after much researching online, I found how to solve my problem.

I need to get a H4 LED Canbus / decoder. I didn't think I needed one as they usually are only for newer vehicles that have computers connected to everything (like my daily). But it seems the FZJ80 high beam indicator fault with LED high beams will be solved with a canbus.

I've ordered one and will see how that goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom