High Beam Indicator Not Working After Koito Install - LED Still The Fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a pair of 8" round 100w H3 PIAA aux lights up front so I don't NEED any more horsepower out of my regular lights ... it would be fun though.

The IPF fat boy bulbs also work very well and run at a lower wattage for an equivalent high wattage bulb. Pricy though.

@Gretsch If you want to get rid of that Koito harness, I would love to dissect it. I'll gladly pay shipping. The other stuff looks nice too, but I'd love to come up with an inexpensive solution to pair with the inexpensive Koito kit.

If you can figure out how to make this work then its yours. I did cut the trigger plug that goes to the factory headlight plug off the harness. I used the other unused factory plug as a trigger for my Hella Black Magic aux lights. I had been wedging a spade connector into the factory plug to run the lights with the headlights but the connection was not very secure and thought using the male plug that comes with the Koito harness would be a more secure fit for the trigger wire. Wires are color coded so you can still see what goes to what. I'll PM you with details/pictures. Thanks.

Just did this upgrade and my HBI isn’t lighting up- anything new out there about fixing this? I switched back to the original harness and the HBI works but the new lights are noticeably dimmer.. Thanks

Just did this upgrade and my HBI isn’t lighting up- anything new out there about fixing this? I switched back to the original harness and the HBI works but the new lights are noticeably dimmer.. Thanks
The led bulb is a really easy fix

Here’s the link to the dummy load, that’s in the post. I think I’m going to give this a try.
I did this and went from zero indicator to very dim indicator. Myself and a local club guy think we've solved this. I need to bring my soldering station home from work to build a test unit, but in theory it should absolutely work - incandescent or LED we should get full brightness.

Stay tuned.

I did this and went from zero indicator to very dim indicator. Myself and a local club guy think we've solved this. I need to bring my soldering station home from work to build a test unit, but in theory it should absolutely work - incandescent or LED we should get full brightness.

Stay tuned.
K let me know how it works- I haven’t bought this yet and I’m ok with no HBI for right now, it’s pretty obvious when the brights are on.

This is the first I've heard of this headlight system. I just swapped out the headlights for Hella headlights and used a Rallylights.com harness without any issues.

After 20 years ,I replaced the headlights with newer headlights with a "city light " option. In Europe , you can't use headlights at night in the city so there is a small bulb that lights up the headlight. I put in a brighter bulb and now had daylight running lights without burning out the H-4 bulbs.

38AA0C0D-2920-4DFF-A348-FCE63F29B5CA.jpeg

Tentatively have the solution. I tested with the incandescent bulb in my indicator and it worked perfectly, but still need to test with an LED. Once it’s vetted I’m going to figure out an elegant way to package them. I should be able to manufacture this as an affordable solution to the Koito Headlight Hi-Beam Indicator Problem.

Once the module is ready I would like to test it with other upgraded headlight harnesses. It may work - most of the harnesses seem to be wired the same way and the Toyota wiring in our trucks is a given. It may work for 4Runners, Pickups, and later 40s if my theory holds water.

FYI in the photo above my gauge cluster lights are 194 LEDs that are pretty bright. The high beam indicator comes on nice and strong.

Hey looking forward to your solution. I am in the same situation needing to get my fj60 inspected for tags in TX. Any update?

Hey looking forward to your solution. I am in the same situation needing to get my fj60 inspected for tags in TX. Any update?
Does the inspection require the high beam indicator works??

I order parts to build a handful of the HBI Fix Widget. I’ll get them built hopefully this week or next.

Does the inspection require the high beam indicator works??

I order parts to build a handful of the HBI Fix Widget. I’ll get them built hopefully this week or

Yes, they will likely flag it.

Let me know when available! Recon I can plug the lights into the factory harness to pass inspection but would like to use the supplied harness and everything works as it should.

Yes, they will likely flag it.

Let me know when available! Recon I can plug the lights into the factory harness to pass inspection but would like to use the supplied harness and everything works as it should.
Going back to stock will get you past the inspection, but that whole Koito kit is much better. The housings disperse the light better, you can replace a burnt bulb instead of chucking the glass, and the harness is able to provide much more juice.

Depends on the inspection facility, but they failed mine in Texas because of it not working.
@JTed

Parts arrive today and I’ll start making the modules tonight and tomorrow.

So far it tests good with 5w incandescent, plus green and amber LEDs. Yellow LED did not work - but it’s a bulb from my scrap pile, it might be a bad one. Those are the only bulbs I had available for testing. Incandescent was the brightest obviously, because the colored LED bulbs get filtered out by the blue lens. I’m wondering if a clear LED bulb would be even brighter. Obviously wattage is limited by the way Toyota designed the circuit, I think 5w max.

I’ll have a voltage spike protection and a built in fuse on the module, and of course all of that is within the stock headlight fuse. I’ve been running my non-fused test module for a week now with zero issues. It doesn’t get hot and neither does the cluster PCB or bulb socket. I’ll be testing current draw today but it should be about 400mA for incandescent - slightly less than 1/2 amp.

Also:

I’ve been asking around and have found that for some folks - the occasional 85-87 truck - the HBI works no problem after install. Other folks pop an LED in the HBI socket and it works ok but kind of dim. I don’t know why these variances exist.

I’ve checked all available electrical diagrams from different years of FSMs and the circuit did not appreciably change. It’s possible that some 87 trucks got a 62 wiring harness and there are some differences there - mainly to accommodate headlight laws in other countries, like daytime running lights or *rear fog lamps* that were apparently required in Norway. Our trucks don’t have all of those parts, but US-spec 62s are wired differently so Toyota could send the same harness to Norway for example, with the additional parts. BUT … even with this altered wiring harness, when a 1987 FJ60 turns on its lights or high beams, the electrical path is opened in such a way that it operates identically to the earlier wiring harness. My HBI module *should* work for all 60s (not 62s though). I only have a 1982 to test on, however.

Point being, I feel like I’ve done my due diligence but I will know more once I release the first batch into the wild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom