hi lift jack questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I added a spacer to my $80.00 All ALuminun HF Floor Jack. Works great.

NTSQD you have got me thinking if I were interested in making a larger baseplate for a jack stand would you recomend using a similar metal or could 3/4" plywood work? I haven't thought through attaching the jack stand for stability but the wheels are turning. I saw pics of the skid and jack in another thread where you posted and it looked really interesting. But not in the cards in the near future.

BTW, if you are gonna use the highlift to change a tire. Strap the axle to the frame with the suspension compressed. It'll make it a lot safer.

And, my cruiser on 35's still can use the stock bottle jack without headache. What OEM jack can't clear a 30" tire?

Maybe my OEM jack is broken but it wouldn't lift my 33" tire off the ground.

NTSQD you have got me thinking if I were interested in making a larger baseplate for a jack stand would you recomend using a similar metal or could 3/4" plywood work? I haven't thought through attaching the jack stand for stability but the wheels are turning. I saw pics of the skid and jack in another thread where you posted and it looked really interesting. But not in the cards in the near future.
I used steel because I wanted to weld on to it the supports that go where the wheels used to be. I used the Core-10 because that is what was laying around. It being an abrasion resistant alloy is great, but the odds of wearing out plain mild steel aren't great.
If all that you're after is a load-spreading plate then anything that will take the load will work. 3/4 ply should be good.

I had in mind (haven't done it yet) to cut out three or four 3/4" thick plywood or OSB spacers. Once the truck is stuck, use one or all depending on what you needed. Stack 'em up. Put grip tape on 'em; then they could double as snow unstuckers, kinda like them traction mats. A really clever guy could make them so they interlocked and did duty as a low camp table or something. Heck, if you make 'em cheap enough and low-tech enough, you could use 'em as firewood in a pinch!

:D

My bottom line; I was gonna get a hi-lift but I didn't. ntsqd's rationale convinced me that this floor jack is the way to go. I got mine at O'Reilly's Auto Parts for $24.99. Hi-lifts are too tall and too wierd to store. They do look sort of cool, I guess. Maybe I'll get stuck and need one, then I'll change my mind. But for now, I like this small, easy-to-store, floor jack.

:)

Maybe my OEM jack is broken but it wouldn't lift my 33" tire off the ground.

Do you mean it does not have enough extension to lift it, or it is not strong enough to lift it? If the problem is not enough extension, you just need a wood pad to set it on.

My dad and I once used an OEM Ford jack in an attempt to lift his loaded pickup on a hot day. Instead of lifting the truck up off of the hot asphalt, cranking the jack just buried the base of the jack into the soft asphalt pavement. Stuff was almost kinda spongy! A chunk of 2x12 placed under the jack base did the trick!

When your buried up to your axles in mud, a Hi-Lift looks pretty darn appealing, when your high centred and you need a little sideways push a High-Lift looks pretty darn good, makes for a decent come along in a pinch, I've used one to help straighten a tie rod once... they're not just for replacing tires.

When your buried up to your axles in mud, a Hi-Lift looks pretty darn appealing, when your high centred and you need a little sideways push a High-Lift looks pretty darn good, makes for a decent come along in a pinch, I've used one to help straighten a tie rod once... they're not just for replacing tires.

Yeppers, there are much better tools for replacing tires.

snip.....
If the problem is not enough extension, you just need a wood pad to set it on.
Cribbing!

My dad and I once used an OEM Ford jack in an attempt to lift his loaded pickup on a hot day. Instead of lifting the truck up off of the hot asphalt, cranking the jack just buried the base of the jack into the soft asphalt pavement. Stuff was almost kinda spongy! A chunk of 2x12 placed under the jack base did the trick!
Which is why I have the full length skid plate base.

The rare mud that I encounter is nearly bottomless. I avoid it at all costs.
Looks like this most of the time:
soda05.jpg

But when you're leaving tracks like this you'd better be headed for high ground:
200203488-001.jpg

Last edited:
Is that the moon? :D

FYI I got my X-treme on Ebay. I cant remember exactly what I paid for it but it was only around $100.00 I do know that it was around the same price as the cheaper models. Just look around the internet. You will find a good deal on one. I havent used mine yet, but it is really cool to look at!!! I know I'm a POSER!!! :p

I'm sure it will come in handy once my beast is on the road though!!:cheers:

For any serious off roading here in OZ, I wouldn't go anywhere without a highlift.
I'd rather the 60" for the extra height.
I agree that they can be dangerous for changing a wheel, but only if they are used incorrectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom