Hep! 1988 FJ62 Spontaneous Turn Signal S*** Show (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gordista

Me and the Clan in 'Yota Landcruisers out there
SILVER Star
Threads
Drove gal to beach the other day. Noticed the RH blinker click sounded faster - indicating need new bulb.

Whilst checking to see if it was front or rear turn signal bulb that needed replacing (it was rear RH) I noticed the right side rear marker was also not working.

Checked fuse. It was Fine. Changed bulbs, nothing.
The Rear RH Tail lights and brake lights work.

I assume the flasher relay is fine if all the other blinkers work?? . (LH front & Rear / RH Front)

I’m at a loss. What would cause just REAR RH turn signal and Side Marker light to go kappooey?

Any suggestions?

Picture time 😁

Harnesses behind tail light …
There is an “unused” one … but not uncommon to find those throughout though… right?

And any idea what is rando blue wire with connector to unknown is for?

May have found an issue however … red wire green stripe not connected to anything…
Maybe lived inside harness with Major corrosion in a terminal ??

8BCD8DC7-D3D6-4707-B3C9-3AFDBA61EA65.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Red wire/ green stripe looks like it broke off the connector where it went in. Carefully separate the plastic connector and strip back the wire casing in order to reconnect. Clean the green corroded female part with picks/ paperclip? Get it shiny copper again with Deoxit ? I think you can remove the individual connector with a tiny screwdriver to help clean it.
Those blue clamps look like vampire connections to allow trailer light wiring hookup. The ground connector is underneath the tailgate - white wire / black stripe. Clean up the screw/bolt and wire end, refasten and coat with dielectric grease.

I believe the red-Green wire is your taillight wire, It should be reconnected some how where you see the blueish corrosion on your plastic connector. The solid blue wire is non stock and can be ignored.

You can buy a cheap 12v circuit testing tool for the blinkers like this one from an auto parts store to check if your getting power or not.
1689714247520.png

The right hand side gets its power and plugs into the left hand side, if you take off your left blinker assembly you can inspect it for other tampering and wire issues if your issue persists.

The WHITE wire w/ Black stripe from side marker is the ground. The Green wire should be 12v (lights on), but it looks like some funky booty fab fix was done- Can't really tell from the pix, but it looks like they tapped off another green positive wire for power to the side marker because the wire (red w/ green stripe) to the main connector broke at the spade. Just guessing here cuz I don't have a wiring diagram handy.

If you have a Volt meter or continuity checker, check continuity with ground on the white wire and I'd check that blue tap thingy on the green wire from the side marker to the other green wire.... Those things are crap and very easily corrode.

Red wire/ green stripe looks like it broke off the connector where it went in. Carefully separate the plastic connector and strip back the wire casing in order to reconnect. Clean the green corroded female part with picks/ paperclip? Get it shiny copper again with Deoxit ? I think you can remove the individual connector with a tiny screwdriver to help clean it.
Those blue clamps look like vampire connections to allow trailer light wiring hookup. The ground connector is underneath the tailgate - white wire / black stripe. Clean up the screw/bolt and wire end, refasten and coat with dielectric grease.
Thank you!! Wire info Very very helpful !
I did ultimately discover the wires had in fact broken from connectors - which were so corroded they disintegrated entirely
Trying to find long enough connectors to use in existing harness of course the 8 billion I’ve got are too short
And trying to figure out which one went into which.

I did ultimately discover the wires had in fact broken from connectors - which were so corroded they disintegrated entirely
Trying to find long enough connectors to use in existing harness of course the 8 billion I’ve got are too short
The left and right turn signals should have the same pinout location in the plug, you can use the LH as a reference

You could add pigtails to the too short wires to make them reach the connector - also get familiar with heat shrink tubing to protect any splices. I did dread doing electrical fixes in the cramped locations, but it was better than paying someone else to fix (in an unsatisfactory way). You can get more working space by removing the rear interior panels.
:worms:

Good luck, keep at it. You will be satisfied when it’s fixed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom