Helton Hot Water heat Exchanger install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a Red Helton heat exchanger from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters yesterday. Great guy! Super nice and very knowledgeable.

I'm on the road, but was way too eager to have this installed, so I did it in the driveway of the house I am crashing at. Easter Jeep and Cruise Moab are coming up in the next few weeks and I wanted the shower for that!

Kurt recommended a shop called EVCO House of hose for the hose and the fittings, since I'll be integrating the exchanger into my on board water system.
Previously, in my system:
26 gallon flexible water bladder
Jabsco 2.2gpm 12v pump
Ball valves

Now, the kit of parts I picked up from Kurt and EVCO:
205582_196079030429131_110490778987957_434258_739226_n.jpg

-3' Silicon hose to replace the section of factory Toyota hose, instead of cutting into it.
-6' red pressure washer hose
-6' blue " "
-3 pressure washer quick connects
-sink sprayer from Home Depot, it leaks and will be replaced quickly
-15 hose clamps
-10 barbed fittings
-3 ball valves
-1 T

Installed
207384_196124103757957_110490778987957_434443_4198643_n.jpg

Quick connects for the shower
208218_196124463757921_110490778987957_434444_886796_n.jpg

Pump and line to the exchanger:
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...80424556_110490778987957_434446_4094564_n.jpg

Thats my install. Here is where my plan started from the beginning, just need to add another T, anti scald device, and valve to the system for it to match the schematic, which is terrible I know.
attachment.php

I bought the same heat exchanger from Kurt last summer after I got to use a buddy's shower on a trip to Utah. I used a different mounting location and I spliced mine into the vehicle heater circuit so I can control the temperature using the in-cab control. Works great! Here's some photos:
IMG_2083.jpg
IMG_2085.jpg
IMG_2088.jpg

I bought the same heat exchanger from Kurt last summer after I got to use a buddy's shower on a trip to Utah. I used a different mounting location and I spliced mine into the vehicle heater circuit so I can control the temperature using the in-cab control. Works great! Here's some photos:

I like your install way better. Very clean, very tidy.

Mine was a rushed job and will be remounted to a much less conspicuous local. Plus the dual batt system is getting revamped and the exhaust is getting replaced, so I'll have much more access to everything.

I like your install way better. Very clean, very tidy.

Mine was a rushed job and will be remounted to a much less conspicuous local. Plus the dual batt system is getting revamped and the exhaust is getting replaced, so I'll have much more access to everything.

Thanks! I probably spent more time trying to find the best location for the heat exchanger then I spent actually installing it. I must have tried every possible place under the hood before I settled on that final location. Here's a close-up of the exchanger mounting (I got the clamps from Kurt with the unit):
IMG_2021.jpg

Thanks! I probably spent more time trying to find the best location for the heat exchanger then I spent actually installing it. I must have tried every possible place under the hood before I settled on that final location. Here's a close-up of the exchanger mounting (I got the clamps from Kurt with the unit):

Nice location. Looks like I'll relocate when I have the engine bay pulled apart. Thanks for the great images.

Looks like they will need to have the water blown out of the fresh water lines to keep it from freezing.

I picked up a Red Helton heat exchanger from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters yesterday. Great guy! Super nice and very knowledgeable.

I'm on the road, but was way too eager to have this installed, so I did it in the driveway of the house I am crashing at. Easter Jeep and Cruise Moab are coming up in the next few weeks and I wanted the shower for that!

Kurt recommended a shop called EVCO House of hose for the hose and the fittings, since I'll be integrating the exchanger into my on board water system.
Previously, in my system:
26 gallon flexible water bladder
Jabsco 2.2gpm 12v pump
Ball valves

Now, the kit of parts I picked up from Kurt and EVCO:
205582_196079030429131_110490778987957_434258_739226_n.jpg

-3' Silicon hose to replace the section of factory Toyota hose, instead of cutting into it.
-6' red pressure washer hose
-6' blue " "
-3 pressure washer quick connects
-sink sprayer from Home Depot, it leaks and will be replaced quickly
-15 hose clamps
-10 barbed fittings
-3 ball valves
-1 T

Installed
207384_196124103757957_110490778987957_434443_4198643_n.jpg

Quick connects for the shower
208218_196124463757921_110490778987957_434444_886796_n.jpg

Pump and line to the exchanger:
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...80424556_110490778987957_434446_4094564_n.jpg

Thats my install. Here is where my plan started from the beginning, just need to add another T, anti scald device, and valve to the system for it to match the schematic, which is terrible I know.
attachment.php

Nice! How much?

$260-300 depending on the kit. I bought just the exchanger from Kurt and then spent about $125 on hoses and fittings, $60 on the pump, $140 on the 26 gallon bladder... I have built the on board water over time, about 1 yr.

PG,
You know I don't sit still! I'm headed out for Kabe Creek next. I'm trying to post as many pics on Expedition Ops | Facebook as possible. I'll try harder to get even more up.

Looks like they will need to have the water blown out of the fresh water lines to keep it from freezing.

I wondered the same thing, but read that, Kurt lives in Utah and has run these exchangers for several seasons without winterizing and said there have been no issues.
My system is open, the quick connects aren't shutoff's. So if the water expands during freezing, no real risk of pressure buil up.

I'd be most worried about the water inside the heat exchanger core.

That would be a good question for Kurt or others that have a frack record with the heltons and freezing temps.

I know where you're coming from, it makes sense.

I'd be most worried about the water inside the heat exchanger core.

In the primary loop of the exchanger it's engine coolant, so no freezing there. For the secondary (fresh water) loop you can do as Jeremy says, just blow air in one hose and all the fresh water will come out the other, leaving this loop devoid of any water. But Kurt told me the same thing as he told Jeremy, freezing has not been a problem. I suspect that as long as your secondary loop hoses are open at the ends, all the fresh water just evaporates from the exchanger because it is running at ~180* when the engine is warm and the heater valve open.

Nice setups - very tempting. Do you have any closeups of where you "tapped" into the stock coolant lines? Can I assume it was one of the heater hoses running on the back of the fire wall? And did you just install a tee on the circuit to move the water through the exchanger?

Great pics, thanks again Jeremy! :cool:

Re: freezing fresh water in the heat exchanger. It has proven to be a non-issue through 5+ years here in Utah winters though it would take seconds to give it a quick mouthful of air and purge.

First Real use! Well, it was snowing when I took the shower. I cracked open the ball valve after the pump and ran water thru the Helton for about 2 gallons, knowing I was going to be taking a lavish shower. Slowing the flow got me to a great hot temp, then I sped up the flow to run lower temp water thru to mix it to the desired temp. Dropped in the pick up and switched over to the Jerry Can. Stepped into the Changing room under my T-top, zipped all the doors up tight, stood on my Expedition Ops Shower Mat, shameless plug, and took a great shower! I didn't freeze that bad either, although the water did freeze on the T-top Changing room walls, it was cold!

I love it. Down sides, my setup time took way too long, but that was mostly cuz I didn't think it thru, next time will be faster.

Jeremy

Subscribing. Planning to go TrickyT route.
I made a pump kit from West Marine components. The pump has pressure switch. I tested it in the sink and it worked exactly as I wanted. I went with the 1.1 GPM pump to see if it will be enough. And it was.

So I have a cold shower solution. But no real Landcruiser owner can stop here. Oh No. It has to be hot shower, even if I don't know if I ever going to use it.
yet.

So on I go to investigate Hot Water solutions.
shower-1.jpg
shower-2.jpg
shower-3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom