Help!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I resently found out i have a blown head gasket on my 60, i drained the oil and it looked like a milk shake and the exhaust smelt sweet(this was about a week ago). The bad news is that i am now at school and i can not work on it and my friend stopped by to check it out and he said he couldnt turn the crank with a big socket and a breaker bar, and told me that was really bad. What do i need to do ? Im blind to this because i have never had a blown head gasket or anything this big happen to any of my vehicles prior. Any advice would be awesome.

Pull the plugs and try to turn it over again...

If your friend did not pull the radiator The chances are slim he was able to get a big socket on the crank nut..

thanx, ill talk to him about that and see what he did, and tell him to try and pull the plugs

Pull the head and replace the gasket. Find a place you can work on it.

Mace said:
Pull the plugs and try to turn it over again...

If your friend did not pull the radiator The chances are slim he was able to get a big socket on the crank nut..

Ditto, except all you have to do is loosen the plugs, but leave'em in their holes.

Pluton said:
Ditto, except all you have to do is loosen the plugs, but leave'em in their holes.
more fun if you pull the plugs and have a buddy stare at the holes...

;)

Stuck 2F

If you pull the plugs and still can't turn it over try squirting Marvel Mystry Oil in Cyllinders, wait a little while and try again

thanks for all the tips, i will definately try them...has anyone changed a head gasket on a 2F before ? what all tools do u need for it and how difficult is it ?

Nick

in the process of putting my head back together over the last couple weeks (I have a rough time finding a good time to work on it!) but to pull the head apart is not tough. I am by no means a mechanic/nor mechanical and I did it in a few hours. LABEL EVERYTHING. get a bunch of ziplocks and a sharpie and they are your best friends! GET the FSM's. download the expensive one from birfield and get the others from toyota for about 40 bucks said and done. Make sure you get the emissions, that crap is crazy, still working on it.

Get a buddy to help you get the head off, and definetly to put it back on. The guys who rebuilt my engine for the PO had (it looks like) blew the #6 cylinder gasket on the head gasket by dropping the dang thing (head) on it when they installed it.

Get the parts from C-dan on this board, he knows all. Take hundreds of digital photo's (better than the exploded views IMO, because it's your stuff and you are familiar with it.

get a buddy and buy some beverages to have an enjoyable time. order your parts first so you can tear down and build up nice and close to each other, the longer I wait the harder it is to remember stuff.

lastly, the help on this forum is freaking amazing. these guys know everything about cruisers you can imagine. Come here often and search a great deal. It will walk you through all the tough stuff.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

btw, all the above information was given to me by others on this forum. You guys rock.

and tools, a good socket set worked for me.

Godwin said:
If you pull the head and learn that you need to have it worked on, take it down the road to R&R Machine Shop in Opelika. Good guys, good work and they like old stuff.

Jim,
This happened while he was on Thanksgiving break in Memphis and that's where the truck is... otherwise we would have engine components strown all over the place here in Auburn.
I've heard nothing but good things about R&R, but have never used them, it's good to hear another positive for when the time comes for me...

Nick, have someone who knows what they are doing do the work for you, and at the VERY LEAST if it's a shade tree friend they should have a FSM to boot.

Last edited:
HawkDriver said:
I don't think that's ever been done before...
Who's a grumpy Gus....

:flipoff2:

i agree with gullti, i have done my 3FE and a 2F. get a paint pen for the bolts, tape and sharpie for other parts. head is heavy.

i did a lot of parking lot jobs when i lived in the dorms. definitley can be done there.

good luck

The 2f is not really prone to head gasket failure on a regular basis.

Was the failure due to an overheated condition of the motor? If so, the head may very well be cracked.

I've done 3 2f head replacements lately, all due to overheating, and cracked heads. Finding a pre 1980 casting head and having it milled .080 works good in that case.

Regardless, it's a heavy job with a lot of work, although not too technically complicated. Also a good time to "de-smog" the motor if you desire to do so.

I bought a 85 a few years ago that ran awful, after the po just had the head replaced. The jack leg "mechanic" he used, found a nice pre 80 head and didn't realize the combustion chamber cc difference and installed it, un milled for $1000.00.
It was running about 70-90 psi per cylinder.:doh: Careful who you choose to do your work.....

Nick,

If you need a head encase yours is cracked , I have a good pre 80's head from a 75 2F. I could find a place locally to have it milled and maybe even a valvbe job if necessary ( I dont think it needs a valve job) you could have the head for the cost of milling / valve job if necessary and a six pack of Killians. I was trying to sell it but you are a poor college student . Also get yourself a top end gasket set its alot cheaper than buying the gaskets piece meal.
Give me a call before you "head" there I have a couple of 4 day weekends coming up and I might be able to talk the wife into letting me drive up to Memphis and give you a hand with the head.

I still feel guilty for telling you to put your purse in the passenger seat and drive the canyon @ Gray rock with me:D .

AKcruzr said:
I still feel guilty for telling you to put your purse in the passenger seat and drive the canyon @ Gray rock with me:D .

No need in feeling that way Patrick, he won't shut up about the canyon:D Of course I'm just jealous. I now have sliders and I will be in the midst of the canyon next time.
Hey, you should do the MLK run on MLK weekend in Tellico...

I will look into MLK @ Tellico especially since I havent been to Tellico yet. Let Nick know that a head isnt that bad to replace especially if you have the tools and all the parts handy for the job.

A friend indeed if you get that kind of offer on a good 75 head! :D

Some machine shops will question milling .080 off that head, but it'll actually go up to .100 off and be fine. You basically end up with more of a "bomb proof" head that is less likely to crack. I stick with the .080 and have good cylinder compression numbers, and no failures reported on the 5 done to date.

Gasket set as mentioned for sure, and also a good time to do the lower radiator hoses as well as the oil cooler hoses for good measure.

If you do go this route or have any 2f head worked, it's also a good idea to remove the infamous pressed in oil galley plug (located above #5 spark plug hole) and tap and plug it with a threaded steel plug. Very easy to do with the head off...

Yeh that is a good deal, How about a 12 pack of Killians and if I go to Memphis I require some of that famous memphis Bar-B-Que.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom