Help with wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to fix my '72's wiring for the first time, pardon my ignorance! After a major drivetrain swap/springover and 2-3 years of not being used,I had no lights to start with. I figured out with a test light the power to the headlight switch wasn't working. Cleaned and fixed that. Got the front lights working but no tailights. The wiring from the firewall plug to the tail lights is so cobbled up, I need to run new wires. I am starting at the 4 wire plug on the firewall. I know the top right prong is the running lights-all green wire. Bottom right prong R signal-green w/yellow stripe. Bottom left prong L signal-green w/red stripe. When I hit the brake pedal, both the turn signal prongs light up. Is this correct? Also, the top left prong yellow w/red stripe-no power at any time. I would have thought that would feed the brake lights, not the two signals? Can you figure out what I'm asking and help an electrical retard? TIA

A pic would be more helpful. And ask Pinhead . He is an electrical genius IMHO.
Good luck.
Scott

Here's a picture of the plug.
P1011224.jpg

72 has 1 light on each side right? 2 power wires go to each light. 1 wire is tail light & the 2nd wire is a combination brake/turn. Your turn signal switch cancels the power from the brake light switch on the side that you want to blink, & turns on that turn signal. power is supplied from the either the flasher or the hazard warnig light. I'm not sure which is wired 1st, hazard or flasher. You will need the front turn signals hook up too, for the amp draw to activate the flasher.

Last edited:
your parking lights are the solid green wire, the green w/yellow is the right signal, the green w/red is left signal and the yellow w/ red is the gas gauge sender from what I can tell. this is only for a 2 light combo [round] not with the 3 light combo [rectangle] and yes the 2 wires for the turn are also your brake lights .

[see link below]

I hope this helps

lee

| Repair Guides | Wiring Diagrams | Wiring Diagrams | AutoZone.com

look on Coolerman's site for the wiring diagram

the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual is also correct for the '72

When I hit the brake pedal, both the turn signal prongs light up. Is this correct?

Correct

The power wire to the brake switch is red/white stripe. The power out to the turn signal switch is green/white stripe.

your parking lights are the solid green wire, the green w/yellow is the right signal, the green w/red is left signal and the yellow w/ red is the gas gauge sender from what I can tell. this is only for a 2 light combo [round] not with the 3 light combo [rectangle] and yes the 2 wires for the turn are also your brake lights .

What he said. (except left is supposed to be green/orange)

Thank you gentlemen, I hopefully can take it from there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom