Help with transfer case decision (1 Viewer)

Im pretty new to the forums and pretty new to the fj scene. I recently started my first build and I’m looking for some info on different transfer cases. I’m running a 5.3 vortec, with a 4l80e in my ‘74 fj40. As of right now I plan to keep the stock fj axles but am pretty unclear on what transfer cases will work. I like the idea of the Orion tcase but I’m not positive on what adapter I would need to bolt up to the 4l80. I have also heard that the np205’s are good (and work with stock fj40 axles) but wasn’t sure if they would clear the tranny without having a weird driveshaft angle. Have the same questions about the Dana 300 transfer case.
Any info helps. Thanks!

reddingcruiser

Practicing for retirement
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
If you already have a stock FJ40 t-case behind the 4L60E, the Orion will bolt right in. Same drive lines, parking brake, shifters, etc.

If you had a 3 speed transfer-case with the lower gears, you could install my bullet proof billet aluminum transfer-case housing (ebay #254272333466), and with the auto tranny you'd need my smaller front universal joint/slip yoke for use with the 3 speed transfer-case splines (ebay #254616984982). If using your 4 speed transfer-case (or anything else) ignore the above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom