Help with Towing a Trailer (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, I did search but couldn't find an answer. If there is a thread for this please drop a link.

I have not towed any load that needed a trailer brake so nothing heavy. I am towing a trailer about 3500# and the back is sagging and I get some bobbing up and down at the hitch. I have added a weight distribution hitch and the back of my truck is still sagging. What am I doing wrong and am I setting this up correctly? Is there a towing 101 for the 100 series, please point me to it?

I have 467,000 miles maybe I need new springs anyone have stprings with low miles?

I don't have any first hand experience with the weight distributing hitch but I use the airlift bags in my springs and they work good enough for me. I've had one blow out on me so now I carry a spare. Easy enough to swap out.

I'm watching this thread because I'm interested in changing my setup to a weight distributing hitch. Mainly for simplicity of not messing with air bag pressure attaching/dropping my trailer.

Personally I would run a brake controller towing that 3,500lbs

I have towed far heavier trailers than what you're describing without any problems; I say that just to mention that, IMO, the truck is capable of the job you want it to do.

Rather than invest in new springs or airbags, assuming as was mentioned above that your tongue weight is OK, you might want to invest in new shocks. They don't last forever. I only have between 200k and 300k on all my Land Cruisers, but the shocks were all dead when I replaced them.

I'm also assuming that you have a Land Cruiser and not a Lexus. The Lexus hydraulic suspension is far superior to the Land Cruiser's on the road, IMHO.

In a pinch, you can shove deflated footballs inside your springs and pump them up. Instant air ride. And cheap, too.

Do you have LX or LC?

I regularly tow #3500 with my LX. I did replace/upgrade the rear springs with King Springs. Made a huge difference for me. I do not use a load distributing type hitch.

And definitely get a brake controller, assuming your trailer has electric brakes.

As others have said the airbags in the back will work well to help with sag. I have them in my truck for towing. However, new springs/shocks are due at that mileage assuming they're original.

If the truck is sagging that badly, I'd look into the trailer load and see if you can rearrange the load to help with the weight distribution to make sure you don't have too much tongue weight.

So, I have 1999 TLC, the trailer is 3500# and there is nothing in it but the popup. It does have trailer brakes. I also have a grossly overbuilt bike rack too. I put in airbags yesterday and they are helping.

One thing I did find was that one of the water tanks was full. Emptied that and that made a big difference also.

Shocks are not original but springs are. I wanted new original springs but $300 a piece is too much for me right now. Will get some as soon as I can with new oem shocks.

Thanks to everyone who help.

What is your tongue weight on the 3500lb load?

If you don't know the answer, then you have your answer.

You shouldn't need any special equipment to safely haul that.

Yes, I did search but couldn't find an answer. If there is a thread for this please drop a link.

I have not towed any load that needed a trailer brake so nothing heavy. I am towing a trailer about 3500# and the back is sagging and I get some bobbing up and down at the hitch. I have added a weight distribution hitch and the back of my truck is still sagging. What am I doing wrong and am I setting this up correctly? Is there a towing 101 for the 100 series, please point me to it?

I have 467,000 miles maybe I need new springs anyone have stprings with low miles?
new springs, but for the short term air bag in rear springs....or inflate a football inside each rear spring :hillbilly:

So, I have 1999 TLC, the trailer is 3500# and there is nothing in it but the popup. It does have trailer brakes. I also have a grossly overbuilt bike rack too. I put in airbags yesterday and they are helping.

One thing I did find was that one of the water tanks was full. Emptied that and that made a big difference also.

Shocks are not original but springs are. I wanted new original springs but $300 a piece is too much for me right now. Will get some as soon as I can with new oem shocks.

Thanks to everyone who help.
Is the coupler level with the hitch?

The popup says 350# for tongue weight. Then I just added a drastically over build bike rack and bicycles to the back also.I don't know how much that weights.

First make sure that you have the hitch height set-up properly. Next you need to have some idea about the tongue weight to make sure that you have the appropriate load bars for your weight distribution hitch. The hitch and load bars will be rated for the tongue weight. Once you have that then you need to set it up properly. A weight distribution hitch normally transfers up to about 30% of the total hitch weight to the front axle. So even with a weight distribution hitch you still have some weight back there and it will drop the rear of the truck. If all of it is set up right and you still don't like the sag I would add air bags since you are not towing all the time. Personally I would only be adding springs if you had a permanent install (drawers, RTT, etc) and not a trailer that you tow once in a while. Air bags can be deflated to not add a harsh ride to your daily driver.

I have a toy hauler popup trailer (Starcraft 13rt) and I regularly tow with over 600 lbs of tongue weight. I have a weight distribution hitch and air bags. Tows great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom