Help with noisy power steering (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a throb in the steering. When the truck is not moving (like when parallel parking), the steering wheel feels heavy and I can feel a throb coming up the column. The wheel kind of jerks back and forth a bit. This goes away when the truck starts to move, the faster the better. Also accompanied by a whining noise, presumably from the pump.

Sorry, not much history to report. The rig in new-to-me, all stock, sporadically serviced but with no records. Other than checking the PS fluid and pump belt, any thoughts on what's causing this and how to correct? Starting from scratch on this one.

Thanks.

I don't specifically have an answer to the symptoms you described, but I'd drain all the fluid out and replace it with ATF. ATF is what is spec'd for an FJ60 PS pump, not PS fluid. Then jack up the front end, and with the the engine on, turn the wheels all the way from one side to the other a few times. Check the fluid and repeat.

tagged, im getting the same problem but its slight left turns at all speeds, slipping of the power in L4

Repeat on the replace fluid. Check belt wear and tension. Then ...jack up check for binding steering parts........then pump......steering gearbox.

In my opinion, the stock pump is too weak. My stock pump died at ~185k, replaced with a rebuilt unit. That one failed 6 months later. I'm only running 31" tires.
Replaced with saginaw, not easy, but much more power than stock.

In my opinion, the stock pump is too weak. My stock pump died at ~185k, replaced with a rebuilt unit. That one failed 6 months later. I'm only running 31" tires.
Replaced with saginaw, not easy, but much more power than stock.
Curious what part of the pump failed for you. Vanes, bearings, seals, valves? John

My stock power steering pump is still going strong at 300,000 mi and works fine for my 35" by 12.5" mud terrains.

The fj60 and fj62 pumps are different. The fj60 pumps suck, I have no working knowledge of the 62 so it might be great.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it was seals and valves due to the leaks and lack of power, but I never took the thing apart. It was leaking a lot at the pulley o-ring.
I was warned against doing a rebuild or buying re-manufactured by several Mud members, but to save a buck I bought a remanufactrured stock pump. It died within 6 months of install.

Saginaw conversion has been working great for almost 2 years.
Sounds like they made some improvements to the 62 pump.

Whatever works... after dealing with 2 failed fj60 pumps I moved forward to something I felt was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom