Help with leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happy Thanksgiving everyone...

I just got the crank pulley off getting ready to change the oil pump gasket. I changed the valve cover gasket last week because it was leaking on the passenger side. Am I possibly missing another leak source based on these pictures? My power steering pump is leaking but this seems to be in the wrong area to cause this much gunk build up. Edit: the wetness on the JIS screws is pb blaster trying to clean things up.

2021-11-25-163102_001.jpeg
2021-11-25-163102_002.jpeg

Do the distributer Oring that could be some, are the moons leaking? Do the front crank seal as well since you are there

Man, I completely forgot about the distributor o-ring. I did end up changing that o-ring when I replaced the rotor, cap, and wires a few weekends ago. I am pretty sure it was leaking. The moons were not leaking but I removed/cleaned them and used FIPG since I was in there.

Trying to figure out how to get that front crank seal off now without scoring anything up.

My engine looked that bad or worse. After I fixed the distributor seal, the oil pump o-ring and the crank seal it's been good. My PS pump leaks a little too so I get some residue but I can keep it clean by washing a couple times a year. If you've done those 3 seals plus the valve cover I'd bet you're good to go.
That's good to hear. That will only leave the transmission pan that is covered in something pretty thick.

That's good to hear. That will only leave the transmission pan that is covered in something pretty thick.
That's where I am at too. Can't decide if the leak is the oil pan arch or the rear main seal. I can see generally where the oil is coming from inside the inspection hole, but those two are so close together it's hard to tell exactly. I am leaning towards arch seal, my reasoning being if it was leaking on the rear main around the output shaft oil would be flung all over the inside of the bell housing, which it is not.

I am going to be replacing motor mounts soon so will tackle the arch at the same time and then determine if the rear main needs to be done or not.

it looks like you have already changed the external distributor o-ring.
There is also an o-ring or seal inside the distributor body on the shaft driving the rotor. Mine is leaking, there is a small hole is the body of the distributor at the bottom that lets the accumulated oil out. (a design feature). I wrapped a pig mat around it and zip tied it to stop is dripping oil all over the alternator.
Been looking on the forum, but have not found a DIY for that on. That may well be my next project.

it looks like you have already changed the external distributor o-ring.
There is also an o-ring or seal inside the distributor body on the shaft driving the rotor. Mine is leaking, there is a small hole is the body of the distributor at the bottom that lets the accumulated oil out. (a design feature). I wrapped a pig mat around it and zip tied it to stop is dripping oil all over the alternator.
Been looking on the forum, but have not found a DIY for that on. That may well be my next project.
Changing the distributor o-ring wasn't that bad although I haven't started the engine since to see if the timing is still correct. I used the OTRAMM video on YouTube as my guide. I did have the valve cover off at the time so it made it easier to line up the shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom