Help with front driveshaft hitting crossmember (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to this forum and just purchased my first Land Cruiser. I have a 1977 BJ40. The question I have is that it has a 4" lift with 35" tires and the front driveshaft is almost hitting the front crossmember. I will try to post some pictures. I have considered modifying the crossmember but with the transmission mount attached I am not sure how to do this or if this is the best option. What other options are available? Is this a common problem when lifting an FJ40 4"?

fj40-2.png

fj40.png

is this a central American rig?
the crossmember is not OEM and not for a 77
the crossmember is too far forward
some clearer pics would help,

is this a central American rig?
the crossmember is not OEM and not for a 77
the crossmember is too far forward
some clearer pics would help,
I don’t have much background at all on this rig but I believe it is an import from Central America. I will try to get some better pictures for you to see. I will attach a couple of pictures of the BJ itself for reference.
A8360006-B930-410C-A52F-DEB6F0C2E8DF.jpeg

D964699F-3E2A-4D9B-85A4-95822E7B07FA.jpeg

The lift is your problem. The BJ40 rear motor mount crossemember was not designed for that much lift. The FJ40 did not use this style until 8/80. Then in 10/82 the crossmember was redesigned for the H55F to allow more clearance for the front driveshaft. I am not familiar with the pre BJ40 crossmember verses the 8/80+ BJ42/FJ40 crossmembers verses the earlier BJ40. I do know the 10/82+ crossmember can replace the 8/80-9/82 crossmember for better clearance. You may be looking at an aftermarket crossmember or custom made. Or could get creative and figure a way to lower the crossmember and the figure add a spacer to the bottom of the isolator between the crossmember and transmission.

If you are worried about possibly hitting the crossmember simply jack up the front of the vehicle until the front tires are off the ground, full droop. Spin the driveshaft and see if it hits or not. If it does hit you can jack up the axle a little at a time until it doesn't hit. Now take some measurements for limiter straps. Simply buy a couple of limiter straps and set them to the needed length. Now you can wheel with confidence as the limiter straps will prevent the axle from dropping far enough for the driveshaft to hit the crossmember.

Can't tell by pictures for sure, but is drop down in transmission support closer to one side then the other? possible need turned end to end putting drop area under drive shafts???

I am new to this forum and just purchased my first Land Cruiser. I have a 1977 BJ40. The question I have is that it has a 4" lift with 35" tires and the front driveshaft is almost hitting the front crossmember. I will try to post some pictures. I have considered modifying the crossmember but with the transmission mount attached I am not sure how to do this or if this is the best option. What other options are available? Is this a common problem when lifting an FJ40 4"?

View attachment 3033759

View attachment 3033761
It also looks like the pinion gear angle is not right and pointing a lot lower then the transfer case out put flange.

@byron in post 5 has your answer. Do that & you’re done.👍

If you are worried about possibly hitting the crossmember simply jack up the front of the vehicle until the front tires are off the ground, full droop. Spin the driveshaft and see if it hits or not. If it does hit you can jack up the axle a little at a time until it doesn't hit. Now take some measurements for limiter straps. Simply buy a couple of limiter straps and set them to the needed length. Now you can wheel with confidence as the limiter straps will prevent the axle from dropping far enough for the driveshaft to hit the crossmember.
This sounds like my best option for now. Thanks for the info. I had not concurred this before.

The lift is your problem. The BJ40 rear motor mount crossemember was not designed for that much lift. The FJ40 did not use this style until 8/80. Then in 10/82 the crossmember was redesigned for the H55F to allow more clearance for the front driveshaft. I am not familiar with the pre BJ40 crossmember verses the 8/80+ BJ42/FJ40 crossmembers verses the earlier BJ40. I do know the 10/82+ crossmember can replace the 8/80-9/82 crossmember for better clearance. You may be looking at an aftermarket crossmember or custom made. Or could get creative and figure a way to lower the crossmember and the figure add a spacer to the bottom of the isolator between the crossmember and transmission.
I think a custom built crossmember is the route I will go long term. I will try the limiter straps for now but will look into a custom cross member for a final fix.

Can't tell by pictures for sure, but is drop down in transmission support closer to one side then the other? possible need turned end to end putting drop area under drive shafts???

Transmission support is pretty much in the center.

the driver side of the crossmember has a dip down in it, I think what @River Bend is saying, remove the crossmember and install the driver side on the passenger side so the low spot of the crossmember is under the driveshaft

it is hard to see in your pics if this is possible

it also looks too far forward, the crossmember in stock 40's or 60's seems to be under the u=joint off the transfer, your's looks like it is under the slip joint

the driver side of the crossmember has a dip down in it, I think what @River Bend is saying, remove the crossmember and install the driver side on the passenger side so the low spot of the crossmember is under the driveshaft

it is hard to see in your pics if this is possible
Oh I got ya. I will look at it tomorrow and see. Thanks

judge smails.jpg

Not sure if it's possible to switch the crossmember. The rubber isolator is offset to the left since the transmission is not centered between the frame. It's offset to the left

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom