Help with front axle noise (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have intermittent (3 seconds at a time or so) rubbing/vibration in the front end. Happens when temperatures are very cold. Feels lie a friction in the front right. Cruiser is stock 85 k. Any help appreciated. :beer:

goldenboy,

Since you obviously didn't spend any time trying to research other posts try this one and this one.

The first one was 2 down from your post and the second one was referenced in the same post.

-B-

Yeah my noise is different than this other fellas. I did my best to research, it was my impression questions were welcome here. this is my first post. As I said any HELP appreciated.

As described, it sounds the same to me but if you'll elaborate on why your humming is different from hobbes, instigators and landtank's then maybe we can offer up something different than wheel bearings or the spindle bushings.

Questions are welcome here.

-B-

GoldenBoy, mine wasn't nearly as bad as Landtanks. Short 3 sec bursts. Rubbing noise that sounded like you ran over a goose. You need to repack your front bearings. I had 78k on mine when I had it done. Problem solved. Trust me, I researched this for several months before with the help of Landtank nailing this down to the front bearings. Oh, it was also weather related. Worse with cold weather. Beowulf is right.......listen to old wise one :D

Mark

Oh and make sure you grease the living *ell out of the spindle busings....

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9709;start=msg85333#msg85333 date=1073369682]
it sounds the same to me
-B-
[/quote]

Damm -B- where can I get that mod for my putter so I can hear all of the sounds everyone describes :flipoff2: :D :slap:

SPINDLE BUSHINGS, DRY, 2 EACH.

(Shaken, not stirred..... :flipoff2: )

Corgi,

You can't hear that humming?

I have to go now. The voices are telling me to go home and clean the guns.

-B-

Same thing?

OK, so I have what I believe to be the same loud goose honk noise coming from the front end on rare occasions. It seems to fit all of the descriptions above, although I have never heard the sound sample (if someone wants to send it to me or post it that would be cool). Its been happening more and more, and getting a little longer each time.

What has got me worried that it is not the front hub/bearing/spindle area is over the weekend I went to the Mountains and was drivning though snow. I got a real nice loud honk noise, and a few secongs later the ABS lamp came on. Restarting the engine reset the ABS lamp and it has not returned since, although the noise has.

Should I assume this is coincedence due to snow and mud fowling up the ABS sensor, or should I start to think about ABS issues as well. From what it looks like in the thread I think I'm going to ignore the ABS lamp, but since ABS is listed as a possible cause above I wanted to solicit some opinions.

On the plus side if it is ABS for me the people that guessed that in the thread will get partial credit.

I'd say that you have a dry spindle bushing. The ABS sensor works on detecting pulses from an encoder on the Birfield. A real bad session would cause a lot of vibration and mess up that signal, possibly enough to creat a warning lamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom