Help with front axle noise

• Thread starter goldenboy
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
G

goldenboy

I have intermittent (3 seconds at a time or so) rubbing/vibration in the front end. Happens when temperatures are very cold. Feels lie a friction in the front right. Cruiser is stock 85 k. Any help appreciated. :beer:

G

goldenboy

Yeah my noise is different than this other fellas. I did my best to research, it was my impression questions were welcome here. this is my first post. As I said any HELP appreciated.

Beowulf

Beowulf

As described, it sounds the same to me but if you'll elaborate on why your humming is different from hobbes, instigators and landtank's then maybe we can offer up something different than wheel bearings or the spindle bushings.

Questions are welcome here.

-B-

Tank

Tank

GoldenBoy, mine wasn't nearly as bad as Landtanks. Short 3 sec bursts. Rubbing noise that sounded like you ran over a goose. You need to repack your front bearings. I had 78k on mine when I had it done. Problem solved. Trust me, I researched this for several months before with the help of Landtank nailing this down to the front bearings. Oh, it was also weather related. Worse with cold weather. Beowulf is right.......listen to old wise one :D

Mark

P

Pitbull

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9709;start=msg85333#msg85333 date=1073369682]
it sounds the same to me
-B-
[/quote]

Damm -B- where can I get that mod for my putter so I can hear all of the sounds everyone describes :flipoff2: :D :slap:

landtank

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Website
landtankproducts.com
FWIW, I still have the recording of my bushing noise. pm me with an e-mail address and I'll send it off. The recording is a 15second one of a particularly bad session. Unmistakable, believe me!

The Proton

The Proton

Same thing?

OK, so I have what I believe to be the same loud goose honk noise coming from the front end on rare occasions. It seems to fit all of the descriptions above, although I have never heard the sound sample (if someone wants to send it to me or post it that would be cool). Its been happening more and more, and getting a little longer each time.

What has got me worried that it is not the front hub/bearing/spindle area is over the weekend I went to the Mountains and was drivning though snow. I got a real nice loud honk noise, and a few secongs later the ABS lamp came on. Restarting the engine reset the ABS lamp and it has not returned since, although the noise has.

Should I assume this is coincedence due to snow and mud fowling up the ABS sensor, or should I start to think about ABS issues as well. From what it looks like in the thread I think I'm going to ignore the ABS lamp, but since ABS is listed as a possible cause above I wanted to solicit some opinions.

On the plus side if it is ABS for me the people that guessed that in the thread will get partial credit.

landtank

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Website
landtankproducts.com
I'd say that you have a dry spindle bushing. The ABS sensor works on detecting pulses from an encoder on the Birfield. A real bad session would cause a lot of vibration and mess up that signal, possibly enough to creat a warning lamp.