Help with brake line removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the middle of my first birfield rebuild. All was going smoothly until I tried to remove the rubber brake line from the brake shield plate. The nut was easy to get turning but there is no swivel so as I loosen the nut the hose just keeps winding up so I cant loosen the nut anymore. Is there a secret to getting this line disconnected? I figured i would replace the lines with stainless before this is all over anyway, so should i just cut the line or what?

Thanks

What Jwest said, disconnect the other side
Toad

I'll try the other side in the morning, but won't I run into the same problem with the line twisting? It looks more or less like the same type of connection.

Nope, It'll spin right off
Toad

I had the same problem as you.... I ended up cutting the line since they were already cracking, but if you look at where the soft line connects to the hard line on the axle, you can unscrew the hard line. After there is a retaining clip that holds the soft line that you gotta push out with a flat head screw driver. Then the soft line will pull thru the bracket.

So don't unscrew from the bracket on the caliper, unscrew the line first from where the softy and the hard line meet on the axle.

-Kevin

Here's removing sequence.
1. Disconnect steel tube from back.
2. remove e clip
3. remove square c clip
4. then you can remove rubber hose.

Oh, Min Seok

I am trying to remove my lines for the extgended ones (frame to axle) and running into the same thing. I am having a tough time getting the hard line to come loose. And there certainly isnt alot of space and having to use 2 hands i to hold the soft and one to turn the hard. Any trick for thast one?

To get the dust shield off I just ground off the rivets holding on the junction. Then I just replaced them with small bolts.

Lots of guys just completely remove the dust shields. They do serve a purpose, but aren't essential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom