Help with Anderson plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also some of the SB 175s are keyed, recommend that you check that there's not something going on with that. If they mixed up a keyed and non-keyed connector when your order shipped that might be the issue.
It is my understanding that within Anderson brand connectors that each of the different colors are keyed differently. Any two of like color will mate, but any mix of colors will not mate. From their FAQ:

• Why are the SB/SBS/SBE/SBX Connectors color coded and keyed?

Anderson power has developed different mechanical keys that coincide with the National Electric code voltage level to prevent incompatible voltages from being cross mated. Note however the mechanical keying and color does not restrict the voltage capability of the connector. Most of Anderson Power Connectors are rated to 600 volts per UL 1977 (see datasheet for specific ratings).

I have some vague recollection that, yes, the colors mean different keying, but that are also 2 colors (don't remember which - gray and black?) among the many that are compatible. Or maybe it was that there is one color that fits all the other ones (that would be useful). May be wrong on all this.
Not that it matters in this case.

I did see one bit where it was mentioned that the black bodies apparently have no keying. I didn't dig into it very far. The Anderson page has a lot of good info on it.

yup, that's right, I remember now, you can mate the black with any other color, at least on some of the sizes of SB if not all.

Having said that, this color keying has never been useful to me so far, so I don't really care. But I can see that if you have a truck that has both 12 and 24V, that may be useful to avoid problems.

Where I think it really comes from is electric forklifts as I think they may have been the original market for these connectors. They're certainly where I first saw them decades ago. Different voltage battery packs would definitely not want to be connected to the wrong voltage charger. Some guesswork on my part, but I could see a possible utility in having a connector that allows connecting some sort of a meter to either the battery pack or the charger. For that you might need a connector with no key so that the meter can be used on any voltage system.

I found a nice vid that shows very clearly the insides movements when being connected, with some suggestions on how to avoid issues (not looked at those, really, so no endorsement of that):

but as to the OP, for context, the forces to connect illustrated here with the 50A would be much less than what is needed for a 175A plug.

Sidebar: What happened here?

IMG_1807.jpeg

Sidebar: What happened here?

View attachment 3537570
Looks like whatever you power through that connector was demanding power (turned on) when connection was made. Partial or poor connection is what usually causes burnt contacts. When you plug connectors together, and device is powered on, any hesitation or vibration happening before connectors are seated can result in momentary arcing which will result, depending on duration of arcing, in burnt contacts, like what is in photo. It would help if you can power off device before you make the connection. Also make sure contacts on both connectors are clean and dry before plugging in.

Have a bunch of different Andersen connectors from small to large current and never experienced arcing on the contacts; just wondered what the OP might be doing to cause the burn.

The housings on the pictures are not Anderson (APP) brand, they look UCHEN brand as housings have this another brand (not that common) marked. Also the contacts on the images has U labels.... UCHEN might be some china-brand? They might work OK still, but in general better get the originals. You can always check easily, Anderson contacts does have A label on every contact, for example see here Anderson Power Products SB 175 Anderson Contact has A logo.

You should always use original parts with electric applications 💎

The housings on the pictures are not Anderson (APP) brand, they look UCHEN brand as housings have this another brand (not that common) marked. Also the contacts on the images has U labels.... UCHEN might be some china-brand? They might work OK still, but in general better get the originals. You can always check easily, Anderson contacts does have A label on every contact, for example see here Anderson Power Products SB 175 Anderson Contact has A logo.

You should always use original parts with electric applications 💎
Thank you all for the replies. I have removed this from the system and am going to replace with Anderson Manufactured plugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom