Direct-Connecting deep-cycle Lifepo4 to LC200 Alternator ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Antigravity was an early drop in lithium battery with the label of “Starting“ battery. There are a few more now on the market. There are also some LiFePo4 batteries that are approved “under the hood” as well.

My concern with the Antigravity specifically using it as your starting battery is that they have a very limited charging temp spec and very low max charging amps spec. The BMS in their Automotive Starter Batteries will not allow charge above 113° F or below 33° F. That‘s way narrower than most on the market. It also lists a max of 20 Amps for charging the battery. Any alternator is gonna put in more than 20 amps so their may be some issues there.

Antigravity was an early drop in lithium battery with the label of “Starting“ battery. There are a few more now on the market. There are also some LiFePo4 batteries that are approved “under the hood” as well.

My concern with the Antigravity specifically using it as your starting battery is that they have a very limited charging temp spec and very low max charging amps spec. The BMS in their Automotive Starter Batteries will not allow charge above 113° F or below 33° F. That‘s way narrower than most on the market. It also lists a max of 20 Amps for charging the battery. Any alternator is gonna put in more than 20 amps so their may be some issues there.
Interesting. Of course none of this appears on their website as far as I can tell. I was passing along info. I received from a source that I believe to be unbiased. Perhaps they're not aware of this. But, that's what makes this forum so great: depth & breadth of information. 😎

The BMS in their Automotive Starter Batteries will not allow charge above 113° F or below 33° F. That‘s way narrower than most on the market. It also lists a max of 20 Amps for charging the battery. Any alternator is gonna put in more than 20 amps so their may be some issues there.

What type of BMS? From what I have seen, FET based BMS are limited in current to around 100A-150A or so. I would expect the starter motor to pull significantly more. Does it use contactors?

What type of BMS? From what I have seen, FET based BMS are limited in current to around 100A-150A or so. I would expect the starter motor to pull significantly more. Does it use contactors?
I was just referencing the Antigravity specs listed here in their PDF https://antigravitybatteries.com/downloads/AG-Automotive-RS-Batteries-User-Manual.pdf

I don’t have any experience or more info other than what they have on their website. I do have questions as well about that battery. But overall, I think I am done entertaining the idea of a lithium start battery for my use. Not enough advantages compared to traditional lead acid and too many questions and uncertainty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom