Help validating carb and strategy - 9/69 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

As I work through some idle and power issues, I’m looking at the carb more closely. Fair warning - I am a complete novice and learning as I go! I upgraded to an electronic ignition and replaced the coil. I have better power, and can idle more smoothly, but I think I am getting backfire through the carb now.

Been studying forum threads and referencing the SOR carb ID at Land Cruiser Carburetor Identifier - https://www.sor.com/cat042d.sor

My carb (shown here) has Aisin D-40 stamped on it. Doesn’t quite match the style for the early 69 models?

My questions are:
  1. Is this stock for 69 MY? (and really, is it possible to know given the multiple carbs in that MY?)
  2. What do some of the fluid leaks indicate?
  3. Am I starting at the right spot (looking to refurb or replace?)
Thanks for any knowledge you can dispense!

C4CBB3E6-A616-4F49-B8BC-BFB038F07F9B.jpeg

966DDD56-87CD-40AF-8B74-ECBC74C63440.jpeg

8A011A07-FD37-4038-9552-88E18CD8E063.jpeg

D3A2A328-DD8A-4972-87A7-89636CF00CFC.jpeg

C5E47614-6B1E-4773-9405-B15E57A88C41.jpeg

That carb was used in ‘68 and Jan/Feb ‘69. The dark stain above the sight glass is a classic case of air horn and/fuel bowl warpage. I have a jig for straightening them when I rebuild. I can’t remember ever having one I couldn’t fix. ;)

Hi folks,

As I work through some idle and power issues, I’m looking at the carb more closely. Fair warning - I am a complete novice and learning as I go! I upgraded to an electronic ignition and replaced the coil. I have better power, and can idle more smoothly, but I think I am getting backfire through the carb now.

Been studying forum threads and referencing the SOR carb ID at Land Cruiser Carburetor Identifier - https://www.sor.com/cat042d.sor

My carb (shown here) has Aisin D-40 stamped on it. Doesn’t quite match the style for the early 69 models?

My questions are:
  1. Is this stock for 69 MY? (and really, is it possible to know given the multiple carbs in that MY?)
  2. What do some of the fluid leaks indicate?
  3. Am I starting at the right spot (looking to refurb or replace?)
Thanks for any knowledge you can dispense!

View attachment 2555917

View attachment 2555918

View attachment 2555919

View attachment 2555920

View attachment 2555921
You are one step ahead just having the carb ! I would recommend sending it into Mark. He will have your carb shipshape in no time. Best money I spent when I was getting my 67 going. Installed it and she started right up!

Cheers
KevO

Carb rebuild is not a bad idea, but will be pricey first step. I would strongly recommend looking into carb tuning videos on Youtube. Specifically regarding ignition timing and vacuum tuning. One dude, Thunderhead289 on Youtube, has a bunch of content on how to tune carbs on old Fords. Different engines and carbs, but same basic tuning theory applies.

Have you adjusted your valves, checked engine compression? There are many things other than electronic ignition and a rebuilt carb that will determine how your engine runs.

Carb rebuild is not a bad idea, but will be pricey first step. I would strongly recommend looking into carb tuning videos on Youtube. Specifically regarding ignition timing and vacuum tuning. One dude, Thunderhead289 on Youtube, has a bunch of content on how to tune carbs on old Fords. Different engines and carbs, but same basic tuning theory applies.

Have you adjusted your valves, checked engine compression? There are many things other than electronic ignition and a rebuilt carb that will determine how your engine runs.
Thanks for tips. I should have been more detailed, but yes I have worked through timing and compression testing is next on the list. I've got fuel coming out of the carb in more than one spot so that's why I've got that next on my list.

@65swb45 I will give you a shout!

That carb was used in ‘68 and Jan/Feb ‘69. The dark stain above the sight glass is a classic case of air horn and/fuel bowl warpage. I have a jig for straightening them when I rebuild. I can’t remember ever having one I couldn’t fix. ;)

Isn't that the fitting for an air pump where it appears the smaller vent hose is pushed in the larger hose? Clamp on the air cleaner looks the OEM style. I know my 68 when doesn't have an air pump or double pulley on the harmonic balancer it does have the fitting for the air cleaner hose. Did our 69 air cleaner have the port for the air pump even though there was no air pump?

The engine also has a 2F aluminum valve cover.

My FJ is a 9/69 build on frame and body, so assuming that means this carb was pulled from an earlier model?

I have been examining the carb diagram that was posted to the forums, but I cannot figure out what should be in this threaded hole. It is missing. Any ideas?

tempImagemWOe45.png

My FJ is a 9/69 build on frame and body, so assuming that means this carb was pulled from an earlier model?

There are several possibilities as to mixing and matching of components. It’s not impossible that more than just the carb was swapped. The question is, what is your objective?

I have been examining the carb diagram that was posted to the forums, but I cannot figure out what should be in this threaded hole. It is missing. Any ideas?

View attachment 2558118
Most definitely missing a cap screw. Since the brass screw below it caps the service port for the accel pump discharge, logic says that the missing cap screw also accesses that circuit.

There would be a discharge counterweight and check ball below the cap screw. They help keep the circuit pressurized.

There are several possibilities as to mixing and matching of components. It’s not impossible that more than just the carb was swapped. The question is, what is your objective?

I want to better what I have installed so I can adjust my strategy to get it in best possible running condition. I have learned that the service manuals (and often advice) don't quite apply when what you have does not match what it "should" have from the factory :)

On a side note, I'd like to talk to you about my carb. Should I just ring your number or?

I want to better what I have installed so I can adjust my strategy to get it in best possible running condition. I have learned that the service manuals (and often advice) don't quite apply when what you have does not match what it "should" have from the factory :)

On a side note, I'd like to talk to you about my carb. Should I just ring your number or?
I have about 8 different Toyota dealerships parts departments that call me about interchangeabIity questions. They are all regular customers.

You are always welcome to leave a voicemail. I call people back as time permits. For a further elucidation on that statement, you can read my warehouse fire thread. Mark's Off Road Warehouse Fire Thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/marks-off-road-warehouse-fire-thread.940437/

Most definitely missing a cap screw. Since the brass screw below it caps the service port for the accel pump discharge, logic says that the missing cap screw also accesses that circuit.

There would be a discharge counterweight and check ball below the cap screw. They help keep the circuit pressurized.
Got it. I am missing the screw, weight and check ball so those are first on the list.

At this point, should I consider replacing any gaskets or fix this first? I am assuming parts for this pre-3/69 1BBL are going to be hard to come by...

THANKS for the clarity!

Thanks all for the great ideas. I have identified the carb as manufacture date 8/68 batch 18. BTW, I misspoke earlier as this is a 9/68 manufacture titled as a 69!

So I believe I need to replace the pump discharge weight, plug and steel ball according the diagram I have and my missing parts.

Any tips where I can order these or how to get part numbers?

Just wanted to update here, and unless I’m missing it I don’t see a way to correct my thread title. This is an 8/68 FJ40. While I work through the entire fuel system I also needed to acquire the parts for the discharge port (which are missing), and struck out with every recommended source.

I have acquired a donor D40 carb, which is stamped 8 C 23, which I believe is a March ‘68 manufacture 1BBL w/ solenoid. Do the experts concur?

931A140A-D0FE-484C-BE9A-5600976FA56C.jpeg

531FA6BC-915B-4A76-8755-7ACBB21A7398.jpeg

F0142BC2-38DE-44D7-9B8F-D0BA21E2A929.jpeg

E769A3BF-BE00-4045-A59E-67A47D55ECEA.jpeg

No, the expert sez that is a 1978 built replacement carb. Nice score.
The round, glass sight window (round, not squarish; glass, not acrylic) makes it 73-newer.
Note that it is marked ISO, so it uses JIS/ISO fasteners.

The round, glass sight window (round, not squarish; glass, not acrylic) makes it 73-newer.
Thanks! Didn’t realize they would have replacements for the 1BBL so much later.

I was able to harvest the discharge port parts from the replacement and back up and running. After some hose tightening and working through the entire fuel system the FJ is running smooth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom