Fixing vacuum leaks - injector and distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I just smoke tested my 80 and found two spots where I have leaks to address.

First, I have a pretty good flow of smoke coming from around the fuel injector on cylinder 3. I imagine there is an o-ring on the outside of the injector that has probably failed. As best I can tell, these are original factory injectors with 300k on them. Would it make sense to preventatively replace all of them while I have it all apart?

Second, I am getting the tiniest wisp of smoke from the area where the distributor meets the block. I replaced the distributor o-ring last summer. I suppose there is always the possibility that I damaged it upon reinstallation, so I'll take the distributor off and check. If that isn't it, are there any other seals in that assembly that I can service?

Thanks for any insight you can share.

Last edited:
I think I may send them to RC engineering to get them serviced, which includes cleaning, balancing and new seals.

I got the injectors out. All the seals were as hard as rock. Not surprising, in retrospect. Sending them out today to be cleaned and rebuilt.

IMG_4632.jpeg

I am using Advanced Injector. He says to call before sending to check turnaround time. As of yesterday his current turnaround time is two days, plus time in transit. I expect it to be about a week round trip.

I did some searching and asked around, and Advanced Injector are who Gordon from Witch Hunter recommended when he closed up shop. He told me that he does a lot of land cruiser injectors.

I am using Advanced Injector. He says to call before sending to check turnaround time. As of yesterday his current turnaround time is two days, plus time in transit. I expect it to be about a week round trip.

I did some searching and asked around, and Advanced Injector are who Gordon from Witch Hunter recommended when he closed up shop. He told me that he does a lot of land cruiser injectors.
Thank You.

Did you break any of the wiring harness connectors at the injectors?
It would be a miracle if you didn't.
Haha... Yes, I broke the one on the #6 injector. Surprisingly the other 5 survived. They're all brittle though.

Fortunately I bought new connectors from Ballinger Motorsports that I plan to use to replace the old heat damaged ones.

I broke the nub off of 3 of my injectors when I removed them. Didn't notice until I got them back from WitchHunter and went to install them. So I have 3 new injectors and 3 originals.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I broke one harness side clip. None of the injectors were damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom